Chrysanthi Diasinos’ work about the Pontic Greek dialect shortlisted in the Calibre Essay Prize

·

Chrysanthi Diasinos has been shortlisted in the Calibre Essay Prize for her creative work titled ‘Οι παρχαρομάνες και το χρυσόραμμαν.’

The news was made public on Greek Pontian Genocide Remembrance Day by the University of New South Wales (UNSW), where Chrysanthi is an undergraduate student studying a Bachelor of Arts / Education (Secondary).

In a statement, Chrysanthi said her essay is about her “desire to learn the Pontic Greek dialect of my ancestors, here in our Australian home.”

“…my thought was that if I could learn the language of these Pontian ancestors of mine, I might be closer to adopting their Micrasiatic phronema (their way of thinking and being),” the proud Pontian youth added.

The Calibre Essay Prize is one of the world’s leading prizes for a new essay and is worth $7,500. This year’s prize went to distinguished classical musician, Simon Tedeschi, for his essay ‘This Woman My Grandmother.’

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

British Museum Director resigns amid stolen artefacts controversy

Hartwig Fischer announced his resignation amid admissions of shortcomings in the British Museum's investigation of its collection theft.

Stefanos Tsitsipas defeats Aussie young gun Alex de Minaur in straight sets

"I found ways to go through and qualify for the next round, which was important to me," Stefanos Tsitsipas said.

TGH Exclusive: Australians rise to fourth highest international investors in Greece

Australia is the fourth (4th) highest power to invest in Greek housing market, Spitogatos CEO Dimitris Melachrinos reveals to The Greek Herald in an...