‘Beds were full’: John Pelekanos on being treated for COVID-19 twice at Westmead Hospital

·

Westmead Hospital has been forced to enact disaster management plans, buckling under the strain of surging COVID-19 numbers in NSW.

In a note to colleagues last night seen by Nine News, Acting General Manager, Jenelle Matic, said the hospital was “no longer operating in a business-as-usual environment.”

The facility put a 24-hour pause on accepting any new coronavirus patients as it is already managing about 1,500 in the community and 121 in the wards.

57-year-old courier, John Pelekanos, told Nine News he knows the pressure Westmead Hospital is under better than most after two stints inside the facility with COVID-19.

“Beds were full, there were machines all over the place and the second time I left from [my house] I was in the car park for about four or five hours before I could see a doctor,” Mr Pelekanos told Nine News.

Although COVID-19 patients are now being sent away from the hospital to others as far away as Wollongong and the Northern Beaches, NSW Health Minister, Brad Hazzard, insisted at a press conference on Wednesday the health system is not overwhelmed.

“I want to assure the community that we have been working as a health system on this since January and February last year and ensuring we have stepped up the number of available ICU beds, and staff working in those intensive care units, ventilators, but Westmead Hospital is typical of the sorts of pressures you’d expect when you got a major hospital in the middle of the epicentre of the virus outbreak,” Mr Hazzard said.

For Mr Pelekanos, his hospital experience has seen him switch from a ‘vaccine sceptic to a believer.’

“‘Uh it can’t happen to me,’ but you know what? It can happen to you, your mother, your father, your brother, your sister, your uncle. It can be dire,” he said.

Source: Nine News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

‘The only way out’: Hundreds line up at All Saints Grammar gym in Belmore to get vaccinated

The gymnasium of All Saints Grammar in Belmore opened to the public on Wednesday, August 18, as a pop-up vaccination clinic.

‘Tis the season to learn Greek with Stephanie Timotheou’s new bilingual Christmas book

Much-loved children’s book series, Ikoyenia, has released its fifth instalment just in time for the festive period.

What we know so far about the Greek Orthodox Community Centre cluster in Queensland

Queensland has recorded six new cases of COVID-19 overnight, with one of those cases locally acquired. Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, said the local case, who is...