FFA to postpone remaining matches in the Hyundai A-League season due to COVID-19

·

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today announced a postponement of the final rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2019/2020 season, effective immediately.

The decision is the latest in a series of measures introduced by FFA in response to the ongoing spread of COVID-19 and comes with the unanimous support of all Hyundai A-League clubs.

“To get so close to completing the competition, only to pull up a few weeks short, has been heartbreaking for the players, clubs and fans. That said, the health and safety of our fans, players, volunteers and staff has always been the overriding consideration for us,” FFA CEO, James Johnson, said.

“As each passing day raises additional concerns… it is imperative that we follow the lead of Governments at National and State level and take the necessary precautionary and proactive measures to play our part in preventing the spread and impact of COVID-19.”

The first Sydney derby was played in an empty stadium. Source: Getty Images.

FFA will review the situation over the coming weeks with a further formal status assessment now scheduled for April 22nd.

The goal at this stage is to reschedule games as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so in order to complete the season.

The clubs and players have indicated to FFA that they will be ready to continue should the competition be able to resume.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Greek and foreign tourists evacuated by sea from Crete village

Over 150 Greek and foreign tourists were evacuated at the Mikros community of Platanias as the roads were destroyed from the floods.

Advanced screenings announced for Greek film ‘Kapodistrias’ in Melbourne

Two advanced screenings of the highly anticipated 2025 Greek film Kapodistrias will take place at The Astor Theatre.

Melbourne branch of the National Hellenic Research Foundation ‘Eleftherios K. Venizelos’ opens

A Melbourne branch of the National Hellenic Research Foundation 'Eleftherios K. Venizelos' has opened since last week.