Federal politics chaos: Greg Hunt retires, Christian Porter resigns, Alan Tudge stands aside

·

It’s been a busy few days in Federal politics with the announcement of one resignation, one retirement and one minister stepping aside amid abuse allegations.

Christian Porter:

Former Attorney-General Christian Porter announced his resignation on Facebook on Wednesday, saying he was quitting to spend more time with his family.

“After a long time giving everything I could to the people of Peace, it’s now time to give more of what is left to those around me whose love has been unconditional,” Mr Porter, who moved to the backbench in September, said.

“…even though I have experienced perhaps more of the harshness of modern politics than most, there are no regrets.”

Christian Porter strenuously denied a historical rape allegation at an emotional press conference in March. Photo: ABC News / Hugh Sando.

Mr Porter became embroiled in controversy earlier this year after the ABC reported an unnamed cabinet minister had been accused of raping a woman in 1988.

Mr Porter identified himself as the unnamed cabinet minister and strenuously denied the allegation in a tearful press conference.

The West Australian MP stepped aside from his portfolio while he pursued defamation action against the ABC, which he ultimately discontinued.

Greg Hunt:

Federal Health and Aged Care Minister, Greg Hunt, has also announced today he will retire at the next election and not recontest his seat in Victoria.

Mr Hunt said “it was time to come home” and he was retiring to spend more time with his family.

Greg Hunt has announced his retirement.

He said in leaving politics, he wanted a woman to replace him as the Liberal candidate in his coastal Victorian seat. 

Before becoming Health Minister in 2017, Mr Hunt served as industry, innovation and science minister and before that the environment minister.

Mr Hunt’s retirement comes nearly two years after the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, which saw him play a key role in the government’s evolving response to an unprecedented and rapidly changing situation.

Alan Tudge:

Education Minister Alan Tudge will stand aside pending an independent review run by the Prime Minister’s department into allegations made by former staffer Rachelle Miller about their relationship.

Ms Miller, a former media adviser to Mr Tudge, today alleged the affair they had was emotionally and, on one occasion, physically abusive.

Alan Tudge. Photo: ABC News / Mark Moore.

Mr Tudge denied the allegations, saying he “completely and utterly rejects Ms Miller’s version of events,” and that he regretted the affair.

Addressing Question Time today, Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the allegations as “deeply concerning” and “deeply distressing.”

“Given the seriousness of the claims made by Ms Miller, it’s important these matters be resolved fairly and expeditiously,” Mr Morrison said.

“To this end, the minister has agreed to my request to stand aside while these issues are addressed by my department, through an independent and fair process, to ensure that the matters that have been raised can be properly assessed.”

Mr Morrison said Mr Tudge welcomed the process and was looking forward to participating in the review.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

FECCA offers grants of up to $5000 to multicultural communities to tackle COVID-19

FECCA is inviting multicultural community groups to apply for funding to conduct their own communication activity on COVID-19.

Easey Street murder suspect Perry Kouroumblis extradited from Italy to Australia

Perry Kouroumblis, who is wanted for the infamous 1977 Easey Street murders in Melbourne, is set to arrive in Australia on Tuesday night.

Alex Theris pleads guilty to ongoing supply of MDMA and cocaine

In Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday, Theris appeared in person as he pleaded guilty to supplying drugs on an ongoing basis.