Former travel agent Arthur Zacharias will await sentencing behind bars

·

A former travel agent who operated a Ponzi scheme which defrauded the owners, clients and a former Hells Angel bikie boss has had his bail revoked ahead of sentencing, according to The Advertiser.

Arthur Zacharias appeared in Adelaide’s District Court on Thursday where victims delivered impact statements describing his deceit as cruel and morally reprehensible.

The 49-year-old of Parkside previously pleaded guilty to multiple dishonesty and deception offences including 19 counts of dishonestly dealing with property without consent between December 2014 and May 2016 at Fullarton.

He committed the offences while contracted to Axis Travel Centre, which he later sought to part purchase from owner Max Najar – using a silent partner – for $385,000.

Max Najar, owner of Axis Travel, said Zacharias used the company’s name to defraud clients, Photo: Travel Weekly

The silent partner, former interstate Hells Angels member Peter Sidirourgos, had paid the money to Zacharias in instalments, but the court heard Zacharias spent “nearly all” of that money and only about $100,000 was passed on to Mr Najar.

Mr Najar, the main victim of the offences, told the court how Zacharias’ “orchestrated and cruel” deceit had stolen almost five years of his life and ruined his proud company.

He said Zacharias had repeatedly begged to be employed and he gave him a second chance, employing him as a contractor.

Mr Najar told the court he felt humiliated and embarrassed by Zacharias’ crimes which resulted in significant financial trauma amounting to more than $596,894 as well as lost time and health issues.

Judge Simon Stretton will sentence Zacharias next month.

Source: The Advertiser

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

You May Also Like

What happened in Mitsotakis and Erdogan’s 90 minute meeting at NATO?

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, held a 90-minute meeting at NATO addressing points of tension between the two states.

Effy Alexakis’ book captures the philanthropic essence of Father Nektarios from Newtown

Effy Alexakis has captured the philanthropic essence of Father Nektarios in her book 'The Heart of Giving – Father Nektarios’ Soup Kitchen.'

Enter Alexander: New exhibition about the battle of Chaeronea opens in Athens

A new exhibition titled "Chaeronea, 2 August 338 BC: A day that changed the world" has opened at the Museum of Cycladic Art (MCA) in Athens.