India launches strikes on Pakistan amid rising Kashmir tensions

·

India launched Operation Sindoor on Wednesday, May 7, targeting nine sites in Pakistan and Pakistan-administered Kashmir it claims were used to plan terrorist attacks.

According to Sydney Morning Herald, Pakistan reported at least three deaths, 12 injuries, and damage to mosques, declaring an emergency in Punjab province.

The strikes follow last month’s militant attack in Indian Kashmir that killed 26 Hindu tourists, which India blames on Pakistan—an allegation Islamabad denies.

Photo: Inter Services Public Relations via AP.

Pakistan says it shot down two Indian planes and a drone, and vowed retaliation.

India described its strikes as “focused, measured and non-escalatory,” insisting no military facilities were hit. A Pakistani army spokesman called it a “cowardly attack targeting innocent civilians.”

Tensions are at their highest since 2019, with water disputes and military escalations fuelling fears of broader conflict.

US President Donald Trump warned, “The world cannot afford a military confrontation between India and Pakistan.”

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Candalepas wins design for 55-storey landmark tower in Sydney CBD

Candalepas Associates has been selected as preferred architect for a 55-level residential and commercial building by Deicorp in Sydney CBD.

Greece extends pandemic support as economy seen rebounding this year

Greece said on Monday it will pump more money into its economy to prop up businesses and households battered by the pandemic.

Beloved Greek actor Ilias Logothetis passes away aged 85

On Wednesday, February 28, the theatre and film industry mourned the loss of the actor Ilias Logothetis, who passed away at the age of 85.