Hunter Valley bus crash survivor Nick Dinakis confronts driver in court

·

Nick Dinakis, the survivor of a horrific wedding bus crash in the Hunter Valley 15 months ago which killed 10 including his partner Darcy Bulman, told a court on Monday, September 9 how he will never forgive the driver Brett Button.

On June 11, 2023, Button drove 35 guests 15 minutes home to Singleton after they had celebrated the wedding of their friends Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell at Wandin Valley Estate. Passengers told him to slow down and that they were afraid, before the bus rolled on a roundabout about 11.30pm near Greta. It was later revealed he was addicted to opioids.

59-year-old Button pleaded guilty to 10 counts of dangerous driving occasioning death following the horror crash, which also injured 25 passengers.

Reading from a statement on Monday during an expected three-day sentence hearing for Button, Dinakis said he was a broken man.

Nick Dinakis and his partner Darcy Bulman. Picture: Instagram.

Dinakis planned to propose to Darcy on a long-awaited trip to Europe this year. He was on the bus, breaking his neck and suffering a brain injury which he may never recover from.

“You killed her. You took away her opportunity to become the one thing she always dreamt of – a mother. We both came from broken families and together we had created our own… You killed my family, the future mother of my children, my future wife, my best friend,” Dinakis said in court.

He spoke of how his career had been ruined, that he was now unable to work at the “top of my game” and suffered from crippling anxiety which stopped him being in public or social settings.

“My life is no longer for living but more about survival,” Dinakis said.

The victim impact statements will continue over the coming two days, with the Crown and defence to argue their cases before the sentence is expected to be handed down on Wednesday.

Source: Nine News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

You May Also Like

Greek Summer Festival by St Basil’s NSW/ACT will return to Carss Park in May

Southern Sydney’s most loved Greek Festival is returning to Carss Park this year on Sunday, May 1 from 10am to 7pm.

German Frontex officers shot at by Turkish soldier on Greece’s Evros border

A Turkish soldier has reportedly fired a warning shot and aimed at German Frontex officers soldiers patrolling Greece's Evros border, Der Spiegel reports.

Australians of Greek heritage named on the NSW rich list

38 percent of the richest people live in NSW, and Greek Australians: Nick Politis, Theo Karedis and Nicholas Paspaley are among them.