EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons terminated due to COVID-19 pandemic

·

Europe’s top two club basketball competitions have been terminated this season without naming any winners due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers EuroLeague Basketball said on Monday.

“Having explored every possible option, the Executive Board has made the decision to cancel the 2019-20 EuroLeague and EuroCup,” the organising body said on its official Twitter account.

The statement added that the 2020-21 EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons will start on October 1 and September 30 respectively, with the same 18 teams that contested this season’s EuroLeague also competing in the next campaign.

Panathinaikos BC OPAP were one of the teams against the complete suspension of the EuroLeague. Source: Sportime.

The two competitions were indefinitely postponed on March 12 and the statement said clubs, players and all stakeholders had been willing to resume action but were unable to do so due to concerns over the health and safety of athletes and staff.

“Without a doubt, this is the most difficult decision we have had to take in our 20-year history,” said EuroLeague’s president and chief executive, Jordi Bertomeu.

“Due to reasons beyond our control, we have been forced to cut short the most successful and exciting season in European basketball history.”

According to media reports, Panathinaikos BC OPAP was one of the teams against the complete suspension of the tournaments, citing a reduction in revenue.

“There are now doubts as to whether we will continue to co-operate with the events in the coming years,” former President of Panathinaikos OPAP, Dimitris Giannakopoulos, told the organising committee of EuroLeague.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Kon Karapanagiotidis and the ASRC help public housing residents in lockdown

Kon Karapanagiotidis and the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre has partnered with Victorian Trades Hall Council to provide food for the families in lockdown.

Greece’s Ambassador to Australia meets with Greek media in Sydney

During his first official visit to Sydney, the Ambassador of Greece to Australia Stavros Venizelos met with the Greek Australian media.

Microsoft’s Myladie Stoumbou to guest Greek Australian Dialogue Series event

Myladie Stoumbou will speak about women in STEM careers, the Greek economy, the future of work, and post-pandemic trends.