Western Sydney Wanderers FC: Terry Antonis returns, Johnny Koutroumbis signs deal

·

In the last two days, Western Sydney Wanderers FC have announced the signing of two talented Greek Australians who will play for the club in the 2021/22 A-League season. They are: Terry Antonis and Johnny Koutroumbis.

Terry Antonis:

27-year-old midfielder, Terry Antonis, returns to play for the Wanderers in the upcoming season on a three year deal.

A familiar face to the Wanderers faithful, Antonis played in the Red and Black in the 2016/17 season, including in the club’s third AFC Champions League campaign and in the A-League Finals Series. 

Antonis joins from Korean League club, Suwon Samsung Bluewings, who he joined from Melbourne Victory in 2019, going on to win the Korean FA Cup in his first season at the club.

Antonis, who is returning from Korea with his wife and daughter for pre-season training, said he was excited to be coming home to Western Sydney and continuing to grow as a footballer.

“I’m 27 now, this is an important moment for me, I’ve learned a lot about myself on and off the field, I want to keep learning every day so to be able to put that into training and into games,” Antonis said.

“I’ve enjoyed my time in Korea for the past couple of years, it was good to be at a big club in Korea but I am looking forward to coming home.

“Obviously being from the West it is very exciting to be coming home, I spoke to the coach (Carl Robinson) and I spoke to JT (CEO John Tsatsimas) and I want to win things with the Wanderers, I want to give all I can for the club and help us get to the finals.”

Wanderers CEO, John Tsatsimas, said it was fantastic to welcome home another son of Western Sydney to the club.

“Welcoming Terry back to the club is fantastic, it brings home another Western Sydney footballer to play in front of family and friends and is very important to what we are continuing to build at this club,” Tsatsimas said.

Johnny Koutroumbis:

23-year-old defender, Johnny Koutroumbis, has signed with the Wanderers for the next two seasons, the club announced today.

Koutroumbis joins the Red & Black after a five-year spell at Newcastle Jets where he made 90 appearances in the domestic competition.

Koutroumbis said he was excited to take the next step of his career at the Wanderers.

“Games against the Wanderers always had a sense of tension due to the fact they are one of the biggest clubs in the country,” Koutroumbis said.

“The main decision to join the club was because I wanted to challenge myself under the pressure and expectation from the coaches and fans to be the best player I can possibly be.

“In the short time I was under the Gaffa (head coach Carl Robinson) at the Jets, I felt as though I was a different player. He gave me the confidence and reassurance that a player like myself needs.

“I have a great belief in the gaffer, coaching staff, my new teammates, and myself. 

“The goal is to try to play in as many games as I possibly can and win. From a club standpoint and with our high expectations.”

Head coach, Carl Robinson, said he is delighted to work with Koutroumbis again.

“Having previously coached Johnny, I know that he is a hard worker and has a fantastic team-first mentality,” Robinson said.

“Johnny possesses excellent speed with a strong tactical understanding of how I want to play on both sides of the ball.

“He is a great addition to our strong core group of young players we are building and developing here at the Wanderers.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Giorgos Charalampopoulos wins gold in European Armwrestling Championship

The Greek World Champion, Giorgos Charalampopoulos, has once again ascended to the top of Europe, securing the Gold Medal.

Maria Sakkari through to WTA semifinals, Stefanos Tsitsipas loses opening ATP Finals match

Maria Sakkari defeated top seed Aryna Sabalenka at the WTA, while Stefanos Tsitsipas lost 6-4 6-4 to Andrey Rublev at the ATP Finals.

Zeibekiko Festival Australia 2025: Ten days of dance, music and memory

Ventouris Productions proudly presents the 3rd Zeibekiko Festival Australia, running from 3 to 12 October 2025 across Sydney and Melbourne.