Kyrgios books Wimbledon blockbuster against Tsitsipas

·

Nick Kyrgios will next face Stefanos Tsitsipas at Wimbledon after producing an almost flawless performance to eliminate No.26 seed Filip Krajinovic in the second round of the tournament overnight.

In just one hour and 25 minutes, Kyrgios fired 24 aces and conceded only nine points in a commanding 6-2 6-3 6-1 second-round victory.

In his post-match interview, the 27-year-old said he was disappointed with his first-round performance and added: “I just wanted to remind everyone that I’m pretty good.”

Kyrgios went on and said he’s been preparing for the tournament all year because he genuinely thinks “this tournament is my best chance to win a Grand Slam.”

“…obviously I’ve got an incredibly tough draw still, but today I couldn’t have played better,” he added.

Early this morning, Stefanos Tsitsipas also defeated Australia’s Jordan Thompson 6-2, 6-3, 7-5.

It proved an unequal contest, with the World No. 5 shooting the Australian down in straight sets to set up a last-32 match with Kyrgios.

Tsitsipas said he was looking forward to facing his old rival: “we’ve had some great matches at many levels of competition … I have great respect for the way he fights when he really wants to.”

The last time the pair met was on grass at the second round at Halle earlier this month, where Kyrgios beat Tsitsipas.

READ MORE: Nick Kyrgios defeats Stefanos Tsitsipas in Halle Open thriller

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

You May Also Like

Princess Theodora of Greece weds in royal ceremony after four-year delay

Princess Theodora of Greece at last married her American fiancé, Matthew Kumar, in a splendid royal wedding.

‘The bills don’t stop coming in,’ says small business owner Penny Kerasiotis

Penny Kerasiotis runs a cake shop in Brunswick West called Miss Penny Cakes, and she says the impact of the latest lockdown will be "devastating."

Noongar and Greek, queer and proud: Cezera Critti-Schnaars personifies NAIDOC Week

Cezera Critti-Schnaars' story is a testament to resilience in the face of a complex history and a powerful call for inclusivity.