Australian Government left with millions of unusable COVID masks from suspicious retailer

·

The Australian Government has been left with almost 46 million unusable face masks after they handed COVID-19 contracts to a suspicious online retailer, who sourced equipment via companies registered in the low-tax jurisdiction of Cyprus.

According to The Guardian, $100 million in contracts were handed Australian Business Mobiles NSW (ABM), a small company who was in charge of subcontracting the supply of the PPE from two companies registered in Cyprus in April and June 2020.

The Cyprus-registered companies, Neumer Trading and Neumer Holdings, named after twins Ricky and Evan Neuman, made about $40 million on the deal, The Guardian reported.

Later in July, questions were raised by the Australian Taxation Office in regard to the government’s arrangement with the two companies.

The two Cyprus-based companies websites are now non-existent.

ABM was paid to source 50 million masks and 4 million isolation gowns however, almost 46 million masks were found to be unusable as five out of seven of the manufacturers who supplied the masks did not meet quality regulations.

In March last year, warnings were also issued for these masks to not be used in hospitals or other healthcare settings.

A spokesperson for Ricky Neumann said the companies had “always complied with our obligations and deny any wrongdoing.”

Source: The Guardian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Angelo Gargasoulas, brother of Victoria’s Bourke St killer, faces drug trafficking charges

Angelo Gargasoulas, the 33-year-old brother of Bourke Street killer James Gargasoulas, is facing serious drug trafficking charges.

Greek government axes child charity’s leadership amid sexual abuse claims

The Greek government said on Monday it will replace Ark of the World’s administration amid a barrage of sexual abuse allegations.

Fronditha Care says ευχαριστώ (thank you) to its brave staff

Fronditha Care is thanking its brave workforce that has been in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic as it celebrates Aged Care Employee Day on Friday.