NSW set to ban engineered stone benchtops by end of 2023

·

The New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said a state ban may be announced for the use of silica-engineered stone if a national agreement isn’t reached by the end of 2023.

NSW Industrial Relations Minister Sophie Cotsis told a budget estimates hearing on Wednesday that the government would consider abandoning plans for a national ban of the deadly product, if the agreement isn’t reached prior to the end of the year.

Ms Costis said she supported banning the product “as soon as possible” and said it had been “a long time coming.”

benchtop
An investigation which took place earlier this year found an increased number of workers battling the debilitating symptoms of silicosis. Photo: Nine News.

“We need to get this right at a national level. We don’t want to see this drag out like what happened with asbestos,” Ms Cotsis said.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, state and territory ministers were criticised last month after they failed to announce a ban on the deadly engineered stone responsible for a health epidemic among tradies.

State-based regulators were found to have failed to effectively examine workplaces for the crystalline silica dust found in the stone used in kitchen benchtops.

Statistics showed the engineered stone can contain up to 95 per cent crystalline silica and is responsible for a surge in lung disease in stonemasons and other tradespeople. 

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

St Euphemia College hosts Hellenic National Defence delegation

St Euphemia College welcomed a distinguished delegation from the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS).

St Spyridon College students shine at 2026 da Vinci Decathlon

Students from St Spyridon College took part in the 2026 da Vinci Decathlon at Knox Grammar School, with selected participants.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 10 years of changing lives with the Arrowsmith Program

Oakleigh Grammar proudly marked a significant milestone, celebrating 10 years of the Arrowsmith Program with a special evening.

You May Also Like

GOCSA’s new Neoléa initiative host Ikarian-inspired inaugural event

On May 26, the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia (GOCSA) launched their new initiative known as “Neoléa.”

SA Arts Minister Andrea Michaels to leave politics after state election

SA’s Arts Minister Andrea Michaels announced she will quit after the upcoming state election and will not recontest her Adelaide seat.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA call for the Parthenon Marbles to be returned to Greece

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia have called for the Parthenon Marbles to be returned to their rightful place in Greece.