Home Blog Page 1458

Italy records spike of more than 900 coronavirus deaths in a day

0

Struck by disaster, Italy has recorded 969 new coronavirus deaths in one day, its highest daily figure in the outbreak so far.

It means 9,134 people have now died from the virus in the country.

Earlier World Health Organization chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “chronic global shortage” of protective equipment was one of the “most urgent threats” to the ability to save lives.

The worst-affected area in Europe, Italy has been under strict lockdown for over 2 weeks, with authorities warning that restrictions are likely to be extended beyond 3 April.

There were 4,401 new confirmed cases recorded, slightly lower than Thursday’s figure but still well up on the numbers from earlier in the week. There has been a total of nearly 86,500 confirmed cases in the country.

On Thursday Vincenzo De Luca, president of the Campania region around Naples, said the central government had not provided promised ventilators and other life-saving equipment.

Read More: Italy seizes nearly 2000 respirators bound for Greece in coronavirus fight

“At this point there is the real prospect that Lombardy’s tragedy is about to become the south’s tragedy,” he said.

The same day Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said all of Europe would be hit by a severe recession. He promised a second stimulus package for Italy worth at least €25bn (£23bn; $27bn).

What is happening in the rest of the world?

Spain has seen a sharp rise in the number of deaths, with 769 people dying in the past 24 hours, taking the total to 4,858.

Rate of infection in Spain are stabilising however, with confirmed cases rising to 64,059, a 14% increase compared with 18% a day earlier and 20% on Wednesday. The Spanish government has extended the state of emergency until at least 12 April.

Read More: Greece says coronavirus to drive economy into recession

Greece’s coronavirus infected population has been steadily increasing, recording a total of 966 cases and 28 deaths.

According to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, there were more than 540,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus around the world and 24,000 deaths. Some 124,000 people have recovered.

Migrants moved from Greek border amid coronavirus pandemic

0

Turkish authorities have evacuated thousands of migrants who had been waiting at the border with Greece hoping to make their way into Europe, as a precaution amid the coronavirus pandemic, Turkey’s interior minister said Friday.

Thousands of migrants had massed at a border crossing with European Union-member Greece after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced last month that his country would no longer prevent refugees and other migrants wanting to travel to EU countries.

Violent clashes erupted between the migrants and Greek border authorities trying to push them back.

Read More: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told private NTV television that some 5,800 migrants waiting at the border crossing in Edirne province were moved away from the border area overnight and taken to migration centers in nine provinces.

Soylu warned, however, that the move did not amount to a change in policy and that the migrants would be free to return once the pandemic is over.

“When this epidemic is over we would not prevent whoever wants to leave,” he said.

Greek police guard as migrants gather at a border fence on the Turkish side, during clashes at the Greek-Turkish border in Kastanies, Evros region, on Saturday, March 7, 2020. (AP Photo/Giannis Papanikos)

Earlier, the state-run Anadolu Agency said migrants staying in a makeshift camp near the border gate were moved in buses to state guest houses where they would be quarantined. They would be moved to other regions in Turkey at the end of the quarantine, the agency reported.

Greece hailed the development as an “important thing for our country and for Europe,” praising Greek authorities’ ability to guard its land and sea borders.

Read More: Greece sends nearly 600 migrants to locked camp

Mitsotakis: Chapter closing but the battle rages on

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, speaking during a teleconference with ministers on the situation at the border, said Greek authorities had “ascertained that the makeshift camp which had been created …. appears to have been dismantled and those who were on the Evros border have been moved away.”

Greek authorities also shared a night-time video of a fire in a wooded area, which they said was Turkish authorities burning the tents left behind by the departing migrants.

A migrant gestures aas Greek anti-riot police officers use tears gas on the buffer zone Turkey-Greece border, at Pazarkule, in Edirne district. Photograph: by Ozan Kose/AFP

“A chapter might potentially be closing, but this battle, have no doubt, continues,” Mitsotakis told the ministers, according to a statement released by his office. “We managed to secure a very important thing for our country and for Europe. The ability and efficiency of guarding our land and sea borders.”

A Turkish journalist based in Edirne said several buses were seen leaving the border area and that authorities later disinfected an area where the migrants had been camping.

Anadolu said some of the migrants asked to be moved, while others had to be convinced .

Turkey declared its borders open for migrants to cross into Europe following months of threats by Erdogan that he would allow millions of refugees into Europe unless the EU provided more support for the more than 3.5 million Syrian refugees in Turkey

Sourced by: Associated Press

Young German academic buried in Crete becomes first COVID-19 death on the island

0

A 42-year old German lecturer from the University of Bremen who was teaching at the University of Crete, was on Thursday buried in Heraklion after dying from Covid-19, the first coronavirus death at the island.

The case of Andreas Hilboll alarmed scientists as he was reportedly not suffering from any underlying health issues, as is often the case with Covid-19 fatalities.

Crete’s health authorities reported that the man developed a fatal complication observed in several serious coronavirus cases worldwide.

He was buried in the city of Heraklion’s new cemetery, while the University of Crete released a condolences statement praising the young academic as a valuable member of the scientific community.

The University of Crete also said that all the students who had attended Hilboll’s lectures are in fine health, although deeply shocked.

Andreas Hilboll was an atmospheric scientist and postdoc researcher, and a permanent member of the teaching and research staff at the Bremen university’s Institute of Environmental Physics.

Sourced by: ANA

Photo Gallery: Eerie silence on Greek streets #StayAtHome

Silence. A word you wouldn’t normally attribute with the bustling streets of Athens. But with Greece under lockdown, streets in the capital have turned into a ghost town.

Below are a few supplied photos that represent the eerie, sad feeling, that is felt among Greek citizens and people across the globe. Remember, it is our job to #StayAtHome.

Walking Through A Ghost Town

BREAKING: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

0

A fire has broken out in a Turkish migrant camp on the Greece-Turkey border, shown to be destroying tents and setting the forest ablaze.

The video below, shared by Twitter user Mr Hosseinzadeh, shows migrants attempting to flee burning tents as large crowds gather.

With multiple people gathering in close proximity, there are concerns that it could become an infection source for the coronavirus.

Multiple reports are emerging that the fire was started by Turkish forces. Twitter user Nic Athens shared this video, showing the fire very close to the Evros border, which is patrolled by Greek authorities.

Last Thursday, footage emerged of migrants constructing and deploying makeshift bridges as they are repelled with tear gas at the Greek-Turkish border.

On social media, users posted videos of reportedly 500 migrants that are hauling what are supposedly bridges meant to lay across barbed wire fencing, allowing migrants to climb over quickly. The migrants faced resistance at the border in the form of Greek police, who used tear gas to stop the migrants.

Read More: VIDEO: Migrants attempt to enter Greece using makeshift bridges at Greek-Turkish border

According to idnes.cz, tear gas was also used by the Turkish police against the Greek security forces. Turkey has been accused by Greek media and European correspondents numerous times for trying to help migrants enter Greece.

More to come.

Hellenic Club of Canberra opens drive-thru option for Ginseng and Fillos restaurants

After being ordered by the federal government to temporarily shut down, the Hellenic Club of Canberra have opened up a drive-thru option for the Ginseng Chinese and Fillos Taverna + Bar restaurant’s.

“The Hellenic Club might be closed for a little while yet, but our drive-thru is still open for take-away from your faves – Ginseng and Fillos!”, a statement made by Hellenic Club of Canberra says.

The two restaurants will be open seven days a week, for lunch and dinner, providing a food delivering alternative to customers.

“Simply phone the restaurant, and they will bring it to you in your car when ready,” the statement says.

Earlier in the week, Hellenic Club of Canberra CEO Ian Cameron discussed the clubs despair in being forced to close its doors for coronavirus precautions, wishing for members to continue to “support these family businesses”.

“Unfortunately at this time it is not clear how long we will need to remain closed, but I would like to assure you that we will keep you updated with any further developments as this situation continues to evolve,” Cameron says.

“We understand this is an extremely difficult time for many people in the community, and we thank you for your understanding and support over the years. We will also be doing our best to support all our staff, contractors and suppliers during this time.”

Sydney to host Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022

FIBA, the world governing body for basketball, has announced overnight that Basketball Australia and the New South Wales Government have beat Russia, in a vote by the FIBA Central Board, to host the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup at Sydney Olympic Park over ten days in September and October of 2022.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for the city of Sydney to both promote and take women’s basketball to the next level,” said Andreas Zagklis, FIBA Secretary General. “We witnessed many successes at the last World Cup, and I am sure that in 2022 we will see even more. We are looking forward to a fruitful cooperation over the next two years in planning for this pinnacle event.”

The FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup is played every four years. It is the biggest international women’s basketball competition in the world, bringing together 144 of the best players on the planet representing 12 basketball powerhouse nations for 38 games across the tournament.

“We are delighted that Sydney will host the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup and that Australian basketball fans will get the opportunity to see some of the world’s best players compete for one of the most prestigious titles in our sport,” says Basketball Australia CEO, Jerril Rechter.

The Opals’ FIBA Women’s Asia Cup campaign. Source: AAP

“The fact that Australia was selected to host this incredible competition is a testament to the outstanding calibre of basketball talent in our country, the tireless work of our players, coaches and administrators and the passion Australians have for the game.”

The Chemist Warehouse Australian Opals will compete against 11 of the best teams from across FIBA’s regions – Asia & Oceania, Americas, Africa and Europe.

“Sydney will provide a fantastic backdrop for the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022, from our world-class sporting facilities to the sights and lifestyle experiences our Harbour City has to offer visitors and viewers from around the globe,” says Stuart Ayres, NSW Minister For Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney. “This event supports the NSW Government’s commitment to secure 10 World Cups in 10 years and will deliver a significant return for the NSW economy through visitation and profile.”

FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 Pre-Qualifying Tournaments will be held in November 2021 to qualify for one of the four global FIBA Qualifying Tournaments in February 2022, which will ultimately determine the final 12 participating countries who’ll take the court in Sydney.

Aegean ferries to lose $20 million in one month, market experts report

0

The 22 large ferries still providing coastal shipping services across the Aegean Sea are suffering daily losses of 660,000 euros, market experts note.

Ekathimerini reports that these losses have come to a total of 20 million euros in just one month for the ferry operators, and will rise to 40 million if this situation continues – as expected – for two months.

Passenger traffic collapsed 75 percent last week and since Monday has dropped close to zero, following the preventative measures imposed by the government, urging citizens to stay indoors, to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Read More: Government bans travel to the Greek islands for non-residents

As of March 21, Greek authorities tightened restrictions specifically for ferry travel, allowing movement only for permanent island residents and for those wishing to return to Athens.

Leading bankers, who are very familiar with those companies’ financial figures, estimate that if coastal shipping maintains 70 percent of its truck transport activity compared to the same time last year, then each ferry setting sale in the Aegean will lose 30,000 euros per day on average.

Read More: TGH Exclusive: A Greek’s journey to Australia amidst coronavirus restrictions

Larger vessels, serving Crete, are seeing daily losses close to 40,000 euros per day.

Thanks to the significant decline in fuel prices in Greece, losses could potentially be even more catastrophic, yet ferry services are still suffering significantly from coronavirus panic across the globe.

Impact of increased panic buying in Australia shown in photo of Woolies worker in tears

Panic buying in Australia has led to newfound violence and sadness in the community, with the worker in the image being dealt the full brunt of the impatience and violence from shoppers in Australian supermarkets.

The image shown above depicts a woman in the supermarket’s uniform crying in the self-serve checkout, who had previously dealt with an aggressive customer.

The woman who shared the image on Facebook urged customers to “be decent” when dealing with supermarket staff who are just trying to their jobs.

“All of you need a god dam reality check!,” she posted.

“These poor workers are being brought to tears because of the way people are treating them, blaming them and abusing them for something they have no control of! They’re humans just like the rest of us, trying to make a living, trying to do the best job they possibly can for everyone at the moment.

Supermarkets across the country have implemented limits on products as pandemic hoarding intensifies. Picture: Getty Images.Source:AFP

“Before you act like an a**hole just looking for someone to blame for all of this mayhem, maybe try and think about the fact that these people are just trying to do their jobs and don’t need to be abused every 10 minutes just because Woolworths or Coles is out of stock!

“Be a decent human in these time you never know what someone is struggling with in their lives and you’re abusing someone over not being able to buy 3 packets of pasta or some toilet paper!!!!!”

Australia’s supermarket chains have been forced to impose product limits on products such as toilet paper and pasta, to prevent customers from over-stocking from coronavirus fears.

While restrictions have been issued, shortages of these products have led to increased aggression from customers, who have been placing their anger towards staff and other shoppers.

Scott Morrison is urging Australians to stop hoarding food and other supplies as supermarkets struggle to cope with shortages amid the coronavirus pandemic. Photo: ABC

There have now been several instances of physical fights in supermarket isles, particularly over the collection of toilet paper.

Last week, Prime Minister Scott Morrison expressed his disappointment at panic buyers across the country, saying that this behaviour is “un-Australian”.

“Stop hoarding,” he said. “I can’t be more blunt about it. Stop it. It is not sensible, it is not helpful and it has been one of the most disappointing things I have seen in Australian behaviour in response to this crisis.

“That is not who we are as a people. It is not necessary. It is not something that people should be doing.”

Greece calls for flexibility from banks during coronavirus crisis

0

Greece urged banks on Thursday to do more to support individual and business borrowers who have been regularly servicing their loans to soften the blow of the coronavirus lockdown.

Finance Minister Christos Staikouras called for more flexibility from Greek banks, which have said they would offer individual borrowers hit by the coronavirus crisis a three-month freeze on loan repayments as part of relief efforts.

This move followed a decision to suspend loan repayments for businesses, meaning they would only need to pay interest and not repay any principal for six months.

“Banks ought to act with a greater degree of flexibility, as they have started to do, towards the direction we have agreed,” Staikouras said, citing the European Banking Authority’s (EBA) detailed guidance on how banks could help borrowers in need.

“(The EBA guidance) will facilitate banks’ decisions on their required effort to support borrowers with performing loans – businesses and households,” Staikouras said.

Greece has so far reported 821 confirmed cases of coronavirus, with 22 deaths. Authorities have closed restaurants, bars, shops, playgrounds, schools, shopping malls, universities and gyms to stem its spread.

The EBA, which postponed an EU-wide stress test to 2021 to allow banks “to prioritise operational continuity”, has asked supervisory authorities to make full use of flexibility in the regulatory framework to support the banking sector.

Greek banks have been working to reduce a pile of about 75 billion euros ($82.65 billion) of bad loans, the legacy of a 10-year financial crisis that shrank its economy by a quarter.

Sourced by: Reuters