Vaios Gkourmis jailed for $20 million drug bust in Australia

·

Vaios Gkourmis – who was arrested after the Australian Federal Police found $20 million worth of cocaine hidden inside an imported jukebox from Greece – has been jailed for more than a decade.

According to The Herald Sun, the Melbourne man was sentenced in the County Court on Wednesday to 12 years and six months behind bars with a non-parole period of eight years after he pleaded guilty to attempting to possess a commercial quantity of a border-controlled drug.

In June last year, a 290 kilogram jukebox arrived in Melbourne from Greece by air cargo but was busted open by Australian Border Force officials. They discovered 45 packages inside containing cocaine, which had a pure weight of 36 kilograms.

The cocaine was tested, removed and replaced with a neutral substance and “tracer material.”

The jukebox.
The jukebox.

When Gkourmis and another man broke into the jukebox to access the drugs, they became suspicious about its appearance, Nine News reported. After struggling to dismantle the jukebox, Gkourmis headed to Bunnings to get tools to deconstruct it.

“I’m worried. I’m worried. I’m worried they [the police] have… replaced it and… are watching the whole thing,” the associate said, according to the captured conversations.

A warrant was executed at Gkourmis’ Reservoir home the next day.

Victorian County Court Judge Fiona Todd said on Wednesday that Gkourmis’ involvement was fleeting and his reason for participation was profit, through money or drugs.

He was addicted to cocaine and used the drug daily, she said.

With time already served, Gkourmis will be eligible for parole in less than seven years.

Source: The Herald Sun and Nine News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

You May Also Like

Win or retire: George Kambosos Jr given ultimatum ahead of world-title boxing match

George Kambosos Jr faces calls to retire if he is beaten by Vasiliy Lomachenko during their world-title fight in Perth on Sunday.

Rising casualties and oil concerns amid expanding Middle East conflict

In southern Lebanon, an Israeli strike wounded a journalist and a cameraman working for Russian state broadcaster RT.

Greek community rejoices as Darwin Greek festival to go ahead in 2020

A cut-down version of the Darwin GleNTi festival will take place on July 25 and it will be a great opportunity for Territorians to enjoy Greek culture.