Turkey’s President promises to defend ‘rights’ in Mediterranean

·

Turkey’s President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, vowed on Monday to defend his country’s ‘rights’ in the Mediterranean and Aegean, Ekathimerini reported.

Speaking at the conclusion of a cabinet meeting in Ankara, Erdogan said Turkey “will take all necessary steps to protect our rights in the Mediterranean and Aegean.”

“With our four drilling rigs and our two seismic vessels, we are determined to continue our activities in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, without any interruption,” the Turkish President added.

Turkey’s President (right) promises to defend ‘rights’ in Mediterranean.

These comments come one day before a NATO summit in Madrid, where Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, is expected to respond decisively if Erdogan raises issues with Greece.

Tensions have been at an all-time high between the NATO allies in recent months.

Just last month, Erdogan said he would stop talking to Mitsotakis, voicing displeasure at comments the Greek leader made during a recent US trip where he implored Congress to block Turkey’s acquisition of F-16 fighter jets.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Steve Georganas MP meets with Greece’s Deputy Foreign Minister

Greece's Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Giorgos Kotsiras, met with a delegation of the World Hellenic Inter-parliamentary Association.

75 years on from the end of WWII in the Pacific, we remember the Greeks who fought for Australian soil

On this day we specifically look at those who defended the Kokoda track. A direct pathway for the Japanese to enter Australia.

29th Greek Film Festival opens in Sydney with comedy gold

Eager film lovers came together on Tuesday, October 15 to enjoy the highly anticipated comedy Hear Who’s Talking at the opening night of this...