Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas opposes new ‘right to disconnect’ law

·

The Federal Government has included a “right to disconnect” in its industrial relations bill, which was rushed through the Senate last week in a last-minute deal with the Greens and crossbench.

According to News.com.au, the proposal is designed to prevent employees from being punished for refusing to answer unreasonable work calls or emails after they have finished work.

In a post on X, Greens leader Adam Band posted “If you’ve been asked to answer an email, take a call, or edit a doc on your day off, then this one’s for you.”

“The Greens have just won you the Right to Disconnect,” he wrote. “Now, you’ll have the right to ignore your boss when you clock off.”

Despite the Green’s push for a positive outcome for workers, the new legislation received a lot of backlash.

Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas claimed the laws were going too far in a post on X.

“Is this the way to drive our country forward?” Mr Zempilas said.

“Is this the spirit with which we built our great nation? Is this the attitude which has meant good people can work hard and get ahead? I think not.”

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese also backed the changes, which have already been introduced in several nations overseas.

“What we’re simply saying is someone who’s not being paid 24 hours a day shouldn’t be penalised if they’re not online and available 24 hours a day,” Mr Albanese said.

Source: News.com.au. 

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

On This Day in 1913: The decisive Battle of Lemnos

On the morning of January 5, 1913, the Battle of Lemnos took place between Greek and Turkish fleets in the North Aegean.

Mary Kostakidis apologises amid anti-Semitism row with Zionist Federation

Former SBS newsreader Mary Kostakidis has apologised for sharing comments by former Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah.

Cretan ball in Sydney provides annual dancing and music extravaganza

People turned up to Marrickville Town Hall in Sydney on Saturday, May 13 for the Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW's annual ball.