Former Canada Bay mayor Angelo Tsirekas to fight ICAC findings

·

Angelo Tsirekas, the former mayor of Canada Bay Council in Sydney, has formally launched a legal challenge in the NSW Supreme Court against findings of corruption by the Independence Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) last year.

In November 2023, the ICAC found that Mr Tsirekas had engaged in “serious corrupt conduct” with planning decisions.

He was found to have accepted overseas flights, trips and accommodation – to the tune of almost $20,000 – from developer I-Prosperity and its agent Joseph Chidiac, as a “reward” for favouring the group’s property interests in the Local Government Area.

In response to these findings, NSW Local Government Minister Ron Hoenig dismissed Mr Tsirekas from Council and he was disqualified from civic office for a period of five years.

Mr Angelo Tsirekas and Mr Joseph Chidiac
ICAC revealed this image of Mr Angelo Tsirekas and Mr Joseph Chidiac in China. Photo: ICAC.

Mr Tsirekas claimed the “key adverse findings” had been based on “errors of fact and law.”

According to The Australian, Mr Tsirekas’ legal team have now officially commenced legal proceedings against ICAC in the NSW Supreme Court.

The matter is expected to be discussed in court on March 6 where parties will determine the course of action for the case.

A City of Canada Bay Council spokesman told The Australian it was not aware its former mayor had lodged legal papers against ICAC with the Supreme Court.

Source: The Australian.

www.antipodesfestival.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

Sydney man Theodore Penemenos pleads guilty after drugs found in underwear

Sydney real estate agent Theodore Penemenos, 31, has pleaded guilty to drug possession and possessing suspected stolen property.

Russian airstrikes bring war close to NATO’s border as Greece calls for more humanitarian corridors

Russian missiles hit a large Ukrainian base near the border with NATO member Poland on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding 134.

Brisbane hosts landmark celebration of Greek Macedonian heritage

The Pan Macedonian Federation of Australia held its inaugural conference, accompanied by a spirited dinner dance and Annual General Meeting.