Jury warned as George Alex’s $13 million tax fraud trial begins

·

Jurors in the court trial involving construction boss George Alex and five others who were charged with embezzling over $13 million in unpaid taxes, have received a warning that any information found beyond the courts could have “disastrous” consequences.

On Monday, February 12, eighty prospective jurors were transported by bus to the NSW Supreme Court in Darlinghurst, Sydney for the commencement of the fraud trial. 

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the trial is expected to span across six months or longer, as suggested by Justice Desmond Fagan.

Prosecutors claim that George Alex, along with his son Arthur Alex, Mark Ronald Bryers, Gordon McAndrew, Lindsay John Kirschberg, and Pasquale Loccisano, worked together to take millions of dollars in pay-as-you-go (PAYG) withholding tax from the wages and salaries of labour hire workers. 

They allegedly used a complicated network of businesses, causing the Australian Taxation Office to lose money.

Arthur Alex (left) and his father George Alex (right) outside the NSW Supreme Court on Monday. Photo: Kate Geraghty.
File photo: Arthur Alex (left) and his father George Alex (right) outside the NSW Supreme Court. Photo: Kate Geraghty.

On Monday, the Judge told the 15 jurors selected to preside over the trial, which will eventually become 12, that they were “absolutely forbidden” to research the matter online.

The Judge made reference to the sexual assault trial of Bruce Lehrmann in the ACT, where a juror was found to have researched “crimes of a nature that were alleged against the accused.”

“The consequence was that trial was aborted, and for other reasons, it’s never been resumed,” Judge Fagan told the jury of 11 men and four women.

The judge described the potential consequence of the juror’s researching information for the George Alex trial as “disastrous.”

Judge Fagan said the accused men of the case were each entitled to the presumption of innocence, and it was for the Crown to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt.

The trial is set to continue, with the Crown prosecutor’s opening address is expected to run for four days.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Constantin Caratheodory: The greatest Greek mathematician

Constantin Caratheodory was the greatest Greek mathematician since antiquity and today we take a look back at his achievements.

Greece’s tougher asylum laws receive criticism for “unfair” trial of cases

Of 74,000 asylum seekers arriving in Greece last year, 42,000 remain on five east Aegean islands. Greece said it has begun to enforce fast track procedures...

Cypriot Australian Silia Kapsis’ performance sees Cyprus qualify for Eurovision final

Cyprus has qualified for the Eurovision 2024 final following a performance of the song 'Liar' by 17-year-old Cypriot Australian Silia Kapsis.