New Bondi Beach club proposal hits roadblock as 30,000 petition against privatisation

·

A petition against the newly proposed Amalfi Beach Club in Bondi has reached 30,000 people as Waverley Council deliberates the idea of privatising part of Australia’s iconic landmark.

Debate was sparked over the privatisation of public land in Bondi, which would see the area sectioned off to accomodate “high net worth” individuals to enjoy cocktails and gourmet food in luxury cabanas.

Locals have slammed the plan as “unAustralian” and claimed it would mean hundreds fewer people would be able to visit the usually packed spot.

READ MORE: Plans for Bondi Beach to introduce Greek-style ‘beachside club’
READ MORE: Community divided over new Bondi Beach Club as Ward councillor claims it’s public ‘First Nations land’

“On an ordinary pre-COVID day in summer, Bondi is packed to the hilt, with approximately 40,000 people visiting the beach,” the petition reads.

“So reserving even 2 per cent of the beach space displaces at least 800 from the beach in favour of a handful of the elite who can afford it.”

The beach club would rival those in Europe.

The beach club would cover around two per cent of the iconic beach, near Roscoe St for the summer. The area will be able to hold up to 100 guests at a time who can choose between the 10 cabanas, four booths or 20 sun lounges.

The Waverley Council told 7NEWS.com.au a second proposal for the beach club was still under assessment after the first was knocked back in May.

Mayor of Waverley, Paula Masselos, says proper process will be followed with regard to a decision on the controversial plan.

Janek Gazecki has big plans for Bondi Beach. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel Carrett

“While there are various views on the proposal being aired, anyone has the right to submit a proposal,” Masselos said.

“While as a matter of principle, the regulatory and policy settings are geared towards beaches and open spaces being there to be enjoyed freely by everyone, this proposal needs to be properly assessed against those laws and policies so that the appropriate determinations can be made.”

A period of community consultation where residents can submit their views will be included as part of the council’s assessment process.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Australia’s Cypriot communities honour 67th anniversary of the EOKA struggle

Cypriot communities across Australia have honoured the heroes and heroines of the EOKA struggle with a number of wreath laying ceremonies.

Schools issue warning as SA Youth Pastor Daniel Menelaou faces child abuse charges abroad

Daniel Menelaou, a former Adelaide youth pastor now facing child abuse material charges in the United States, previously ran school programs.

Greek Community of Melbourne’s history on show in Athens

On Thursday, the Themelio bookstore in downtown Athens hosted the launch of Georgia (Juliana) Charpantidou's new book.