Metro Trains executive Peter Bollas admits accepting corrupt payments

·

A public transport executive has been caught on a phone tap telling a cleaning company he would “cover up” for them, after it emerged they had failed to spray down a Melbourne train at the start of the state’s first coronavirus surge.

The admission is contained within a secretly recorded phone call played in public hearings before Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC), which is probing serious misconduct claims in the state’s public transport sector.

In the call, Metro Trains fleet manager Peter Bollas, who on Wednesday confessed he had taken up to $150,000 in corrupt cash payments, told the director of a cleaning company: “I’m not against you, I’m f***ing for you.”

At the time of the alleged corruption, Mr Bollas managed the cleaning contract at Metro Trains, which was awarded to a company called Transclean.

As part of that contract, Mr Bollas and then V/Line chief executive James Pinder collected multiple cash payments of up to $10,000 from the boss of the cleaning company.

The payments continued for about four years.

Executives both sacked

Mr Pinder denies any wrongdoing, and claims the men were in a secret gambling syndicate.

He was today sacked by V/Line after being suspended in August.

Transclean’s contract with the network has also been terminated. Late Thursday, Metro Trains CEO Raymond O’Flaherty said he had sacked Mr Bollas, who had been stood down since August.

Mr O’Flaherty also said he was appointing an independent auditor to review Metro Trains’ procurement and probity processes.

“Metro has zero tolerance for any behaviours or actions that compromise our commitment to safety and integrity across our organisation,” he said in a statement.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Ex-cop launches legal action over James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre

Former police sergeant, Frank Caridi, has launched a high stakes legal battle against Victoria Police over the Bourke St massacre.

IMF projects steady debt decline and budget surpluses for Greece through 2030

Greece is on track to maintain primary budget surpluses and continue reducing its public debt through the end of the decade.

Archbishop Makarios of Australia marks International Greek Language Day

Archbishop of Australia, Makarios, has sent a message to the Greeks of Oceania for International Greek Language Day.