Ex-cop launches legal action over James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre

·

Former police sergeant, Frank Caridi, who attempted to thwart the Bourke St massacre by warning his bosses of James Gargasoulas’ murderous intentions, has launched a high stakes legal battle against Victoria Police.

According to the Herald Sun, Mr Caridi is suing his former employer for negligence claiming he continues to suffer nightmares and post-traumatic stress disorder, and will never work again as a result.

In a statement of claim lodged in the County Court this week, Mr Caridi said he has been unable to work since the January 2017 tragedy in which six people were killed and 27 were injured after Gargasoulas deliberately drove his car into the busy CBD mall.

James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre. Photo: ABC.

READ MORE: Coroner hands down findings on Gargasoulas’ 2017 Bourke Street rampage.

Mr Caridi, 56, told the Herald Sun he believes lives would have been saved if his calls to arrest Gargasoulas – over the attempted stabbing murder of his brother the night before – had been acted on earlier.

Instead, he said he was given “ridiculous excuses’’ as to why the critical incident response team (CIRT) would not respond.

“I know the outcome would have been different and lives would have been saved had we acted earlier,’’ Mr Caridi told the Herald Sun.

Frank Caridi. Photo: Jason South.

Court documents state Mr Caridi was aware that Gargasoulos was “erratic, psychotic and had the propensity to cause injury or death” if not immediately arrested, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Caridi claims Victoria Police was negligent in failing to act upon and disregarding his warnings and he has suffered anxiety and depression as a consequence.

Mr Caridi also said he was treated poorly by Victoria Police in the lead up to giving evidence to the Coronial Inquest into the Bourke St rampage, and has been targeted and vilified for not protecting the “brotherhood” of the police force.

He is claiming compensation for damages and loss of future earnings.

Source: Herald Sun.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Hezbollah leader threatens Cyprus in case of war with Israel

The head of Lebanon’s Hezbollah Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah threatened Cyprus for the first time on Wednesday.

Nostalgic taverna night hosted by the Athenian Association of NSW

The Athenian Association of NSW hosted a nostalgic taverna night at the Greek Orthodox Community hall in Lakemba on Saturday, June 15.

Expression of Interest proposals for the Cyprus Club to be reviewed by members

The Cyprus Community of NSW have completed the first round in the Expressions of Interest process for the Cyprus Club at Stanmore.

Emanuel J. Comino captivates audience with compelling case for Parthenon Marbles’ return

There was a full house in Sydney on Monday, June 17, as Emanuel J. Comino gave a stirring lecture on the latest developments on the issue.

Soprano Christiana Aloneftis wins 2024 Brian Boak Bursary

Greek-Cypriot Australian soprano Christiana Aloneftis is the recipient of the 2024 Brian Boak Outstanding Performer Bursary worth $20,000.

You May Also Like

Flood crisis: Thousands of Sydney residents ordered to evacuate

A worsening flood crisis in NSW has led to evacuation orders for large parts of north-west Sydney ahead of more heavy rainfall expected today.

Anthony Hrysanthos on being selected for the Olympics: ‘It’s a dream come true’

"It's everything that I've been working for over the past five years of this cycle, but also for many years after that," Anthony tells The Greek Herald.

New digital registration process for NSW Seniors Card program goes live

Businesses will now be able to register for the NSW Seniors Card program faster and more efficiently online.