Killer’s bid for secrecy fails: Courtney Herron’s father triumphs

·

The father of murdered woman Courtney (Konstantina) Herron attended Victoria’s Supreme Court today, November 11 to oppose an attempt by her killer, Henry Hammond, to suppress his identity. This move could have potentially secured a pathway for Hammond’s early release, and could have prevented reports from publicly identifying Hammond as the Greek Australian woman’s killer.

Hammond, who was found not guilty of murder by reason of mental impairment, had initially filed a suppression order on Monday, November 11, 2023. However, he instructed for his Legal Aid lawyers to withdraw the order.

Appearing in court today were lawyer John Herron, Courtney’s father, and renowned media lawyer Justin Quill, who has appeared in many high profile cases, including the recent defamation case against Channel 10 and Lisa Wilkinson. They attended to oppose the suppression order on the ground of public safety and the interests of the community.

Justice Phillip Priest struck out the application without considering the merits and told Hammond’s lawyers they could reapply in the future if needed.

Courtney Herron. Photo: ABC News / Herron Family.

The case has highlighted concerns about the use of suppression orders in Australia, particularly in Victoria. Critics of the state’s legal system argue that it often prioritises the rights of offenders over those of victims and the wider community.

Victoria has a disproportionate number of suppression orders compared to other states, often used to shield criminals from public scrutiny. An estimated 52 per cent of the country’s suppression orders are in Victoria.

The Greek Herald’s sources, and data seen by the newspaper, show a high number of Victoria’s murders are committed by people on Community Corrections Orders (CCOs)or bail.

In May 2019, Courtney’s body was found underneath branches at Royal Park, north of Melbourne. Hammond, who was charged with the killing of the 25-year-old woman, had previously committed a violent crime against a woman but was released early into the community with insufficient supervision. The killing of Courtney took place at a time when Hammond would have otherwise been serving his full term. 

Herron, as a lawyer, has been able to fight for public safety, including campaigning against suppression orders as he states this is a crucial step in ensuring justice for Courtney and preventing potential harm to others.

“I’m compelled to keep fighting to keep my daughter’s killer locked up and from him killing again,” Herron said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

Former Metropolitan Amphilochios of Ganos and Chora passes away

The former Metropolitan of Ganos and Chora, Amphilochios, died on Sunday, February 15, Archimandrite Nektarios Pokkias announced.

Greece to deploy battalion to Gaza stabilisation force

Greece plans to contribute a special battalion of 100–150 personnel to the International Stabilisation Force in Gaza.

Anna Benaki-Psarouda, first woman Greek Parliament Speaker, dies

Anna Benaki-Psarouda, a former Athens Law School professor, long-serving MP and Speaker of the Hellenic Parliament, has died aged 91.

Akylas to represent Greece at Eurovision 2026

Akylas has won Greece’s revamped national final Sing For Greece 2026 with his song Ferto, earning the right to represent the country.

You May Also Like

Saudi Arabia considers making joint bid for 2030 World Cup with Greece, Egypt

Saudi Arabia is considering to make a joint bid to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup along with Greece and Egypt.

TikToker rips up Greek flags mistaking them for Israeli

TikToker @ambamelia has sparked controversy after removing Greek flags from a restaurant in America, mistaking them for Israeli flags.

Nick Xenophon reacts to Senator likening Huawei job to collaborating with Nazi arms sellers

Independent senator Rex Patrick has lashed out at Nick Xenophon, who was hired to do legal work for Huawei more than two years ago.