Courtney Herron’s father demands justice for her brutal murder

·

Slain Melbourne woman Courtney (Konstandina) Herron, 25, would still be alive today if her killer had not won a legal appeal to walk free from jail weeks earlier, despite him being convicted of pulling a knife on his former girlfriend and trying to choke her.

This violent criminal past of Henry Hammond, the man responsible for the brutal bashing of Courtney at Royal Park in May last year, was revealed in an exclusive report on A Current Affair last night.

In what Courtney’s family have described as a double blow, Hammond won’t be jailed for killing the aspiring social worker but instead be sent to a psychiatric facility, following a decision by prosecutors to consent to a “not guilty” plea on the basis of mental impairment.

Courtney’s father John Herron has slammed the court’s decision. Photo: A Current Affair.

“My daughter would be alive now if he (Hammond) wasn’t released. It’s had a devastating impact on her family, particularly her siblings who are struggling to get through this,” Courtney’s father, John Herron, said on the program last night, adding that the justice system had failed.

“We couldn’t have an open casket funeral. Her head had to be reconstructed, such was the brutal nature of the crime.”

Court records reveal Hammond was sentenced to 10 months’ jail in December 2018 for his sickening attack on a former partner, which happened while he was out on bail for resisting police.

Just over three months later he was jailed by a magistrate, who said Hammond posed a danger to the public. The now-killer appealed to a higher court, arguing the sentence was “manifestly excessive.” 

Father's Fury

Today John Herron found out the monster who killed his daughter can't be found guilty.He won’t be convicted, and he won’t even spend another night in prison for what he did to Courtney. #9ACA

Posted by A Current Affair on Monday, 20 July 2020

A county court judge agreed, shaving months off the now-27-year-old’s sentence and placing him on a 12-month Community Corrections Order instead. 

Three weeks later, Courtney was dead. That’s despite a judge admitting the community corrections program was at odds with the killer’s free-spirited “nomadic” lifestyle, where he did not have a home base. He agreed Hammond had an “inability to control his impulse.”

Mr Herron, who is a lawyer, said he was “astounded” by the circumstances of Hammond’s early release on appeal.

“The fact he was released from prison, early, on appeal (and) went straight onto the street, consumed ice and killed my daughter, there seemed to be some deliberate intent,” he said.

“Police said he was lucid in his interview, knew what he was doing, but no psychiatric assessments say he didn’t know what he was doing.”

Courtney was buried beside her pappou. This year, her mother Maxie Antoniou held a vigil there.

Mr Herron also took aim at today’s decision by the Office of Public Prosecutions to consent to Hammond’s claim of mental impairment, meaning he can’t be found guilty and will never be convicted. Instead Hammond will be sent to a psychiatric facility, where he could be released after several years.

“He could have days trips. Be out in 10 years (on) unsupervised day trips,” Mr Herron said.

“Courtney was a really intelligent, vibrant girl. She could have put her mind to anything. She doesn’t have a voice anymore and to really have this conclude in this way, where it’s a not guilty outcome for a killer who’s provided a confession, it’s very devastating to us.”

Hammond will return to the Supreme Court for a Consent Mental Impairment Hearing on August 17.


Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Data breach hits Cyprus Community of NSW amid Stanmore property EOI campaign

The Cyprus Community of NSW has been struck by a data breach, leading to a wave of unauthorised communications sent to its members.

Adelaide Lord Mayor holds reception to mark centenary of Australia’s Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord Mayor of Adelaide Dr Jane Lomax-Smith held a reception in honour of the centenary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia (GOAA).

Kon Karapanagiotidis and ASRC team raise over $1.4 million for refugees

Kon Karapanagiotidis OAM and his team raised just under one and a half million dollars for World Refugee Day in 17 hours.

Cypriots to gather at Melbourne’s Federation Square to mark 50 years since Turkish invasion

The Cyprus 50th Anniversary Action Group is calling on communities to join in marking the 50th anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

Peter Courtis travels to Pearl Harbor for training on US nuclear-powered submarines

Nuclear shift test engineer, Peter Courtis will leave for Pearl Harbor on Saturday to work on US nuclear-powered submarines.

You May Also Like

Woman pleads guilty after striking Nicole Lagos with Tesla in Melbourne

A Tesla owner has pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and failing to stop after crashing into a pedestrian in Melbourne in 2022. 

Evacuees from Mallacoota arrive in Melbourne, including 19-year-old Greek woman

HMAS Choules, with almost 1000 people and 115 pets on board, docked at Hastings at 4.30pm, with the first bus load of people arriving...

Maria Sakkari beats former World Champion Serena Williams in thrilling US match

World No. 21 Maria Sakkari has beaten former World Champion Serena Williams after a thrilling match in the USA Cincinnati Masters.