Greece and the UK agree to hold formal talks on possible return of the Parthenon Marbles

·

According to a recent report by UNESCO, Greece and the United Kingdom have agreed to hold formal talks on the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece.

The potential reunification of the Parthenon marbles was announced by the Intergovernmental Committee for Promoting the Return of Cultural Property to its Countries of Origin or its Restitution in case of Illicit Appropriation, or ICPRCP, which opened its 23rd session in Paris this week.

READ MORE: George Vardas says Greece must ‘seize the day’ after UNESCO decision on Parthenon Sculptures.

The meeting, which was offered on April 29 by the UK, has been accepted by Greece and will be arranged “in due course.”

According to a recent report by UNESCO, Greece and the United Kingdom have agreed to hold formal talks on the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece.

This news comes as Greece has recently ramped up its efforts to push for the repatriation of the Parthenon Marbles from the British Museum, where they are currently on display.

READ MORE: Australians being urged to join fight for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece.

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, raised the issue of the sculptures during a meeting with his British counterpart, Boris Johnson, in London last November. 

In response, Johnson reiterated the formal position of the UK government which is that the sculptures are owned by the British Museum, which operates under a board of trustees independent from government oversight.

READ MORE: Boris Johnson rules out return of Parthenon marbles to Greece.

Boris Johnson (left) met with Kyriakos Mitsotakis (right) last year to discuss the Parthenon Marbles. Credit: Press Office of the Greek PM.

Since then, a number of proposals for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece have been made, including one by actor and Philhellene, Stephen Fry.

READ MORE: Stephen Fry presents proposal for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece.

Fry has suggested 3D-printed replicas made of Pentelic marble could be given to the British Museum, while computer-generated artificial reality will be used to show visitors how the genuine pieces were returned to Athens.

There has been no word yet on whether proposals such as this will be discussed at the formal meeting.

READ MORE: British Museum faces legal action after refusing a 3D scan of Parthenon Marbles.

Source: ArtNet.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Greece boosts naval power with delivery of first Belharra-class frigate

Defence Minister Nikos Dendias said the frigate Kimon will help make the Hellenic Navy the most powerful in its history.

Greece to propose Epirus’ Zagori villages as UNESCO Heritage Site

The northern Epirus region of Zagori will be vying for inclusion into UNESCO World Heritage Sites list, the Greek Culture Ministry said recently. “The Zagori villages (Zagorohoria) are the first Greek candidacy...

Every statistic tells a story: What you need to know about the 2021 Australian census

It will be Australia’s 18th Census, to be held on Tuesday 10 August. It will include over 10 million households and 25 million people.