Fuel crisis forces Qantas to slash capacity and raise fares

·

Qantas will cut domestic flights and adjust its network as soaring fuel costs and uncertainty linked to the Middle East conflict place increasing pressure on operations, with the airline flagging up to $800 million in additional fuel expenses.

The airline said it had already increased fares, reduced domestic capacity by around five percentage points in the fourth quarter, and redeployed aircraft to more in-demand international routes. Customers affected by the changes are being contacted and offered alternative flights or refunds.

Qantas has sharply revised its fuel cost forecast for the second half of the financial year to between $3.1 billion and $3.3 billion, up from an earlier estimate of $2.5 billion, noting that “jet fuel prices have more than doubled and remain highly volatile”.

Despite the disruption, the airline said demand for European travel remains strong, prompting an increase in flights to Paris and Rome, with capacity shifted from US and domestic routes.

Regional services are also affected, with Qantas confirming it will cancel all flights to and from Mount Gambier from next month, citing both rising fuel costs and declining demand.

While the group has hedged around 90 per cent of its crude oil exposure, it remains vulnerable to sharp increases in jet refining margins, which have surged significantly in recent months.

Qantas said it continues to monitor fuel supply closely and is working with government and suppliers, who “continue to provide confidence in fuel supply for the remainder of April and well into May”.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Adelaide’s 17th annual Odyssey Greek Festival officially launched

The Odyssey Greek Festival, one of South Australia’s biggest annual events hosted by the GOCSA, kicked off on Friday.

Prof. John Christodoulou joins world-first Australian committee focused on childhood dementia

Childhood Dementia Initiative has selected eight leaders to front its world-first Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee.

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia suspends Father Leslie from Leichhardt

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia places Father Leslie Kostoglou from St Gerasimos in Leichhardt, Sydney on ecclesiastical suspension.