Four Greek Australians blacklisted from Russia ‘indefinitely’

·

Russia has blacklisted 121 Australians, including defence officials, businessmen, reporters and editors, from entering the country ‘indefinitely.’

Four Greek Australians are also amongst the blacklist including national security editor of The Strategist, Anastasia Kapetas; ABC radio news anchor, Patricia Karvelas; Chairman of the Board of Directors of SBS, George Savvides; and Associate Secretary of the Department of Defence, Matt Yannopoulos.

READ MORE: George Savvides announced as new SBS chair.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the “stop-list” was compiled “in response to the growing sanctions of the Australian government, which apply to an increasing number of Russian citizens and their families.”

The Russian Foreign Ministry has issued a ‘blacklist’ this morning.

“Entry is closed on an indefinite basis to the Russian Federation for these businessmen, experts and journalists who propagate the Russophobic agenda in Australia,” the Ministry added.

In response to the sanctions, Karvelas took to Twitter this morning and seized the opportunity to wish people a “happy Friday” and plug her breakfast radio show that she said demonstrates Australia’s “free press.”

READ MORE: ABC’s Patricia Karvelas opens up about difficult childhood and entering the field of journalism.

Karvelas, along with the three other Greek Australians, are joined on the list alongside prominent Australians such as Andrew Bolt, Ita Buttrose and Liz Hayes.

The list comes after Ukraine asked Australia for additional “heavy weapons” in its fight against invading Russian forces earlier this month.

READ MORE: ‘The show’s spirit will continue’: Patricia Karvelas on hosting RN Breakfast for first time.



Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

COVID-19 Australia-Cyprus Forum to compare responses to the pandemic

The Australian Alumni Association of Cyprus will present the COVID-19 Australia-Cyprus Forum with the Australian High Commission in Cyprus.

‘Ι will continue fighting until the Parthenon Marbles return to Greece’: Emanuel J. Comino 

Emanuel Comino, speaks to TGH about his life and the promise he gave to Melina Mercouri to keep campaining about the Parthenon Marbles.

Giannis Antetokounmpo mural in Milwaukee complete

A three-storey mural of Milwaukee Bucks star, Giannis Antetokounmpo, has been completed in the Wisconsin city of Milwaukee.Â