‘The show’s spirit will continue’: Patricia Karvelas on hosting RN Breakfast for first time

·

The ABC’s Patricia Karvelas hosted her first-ever Radio National (RN) Breakfast show on Monday with the confidence and enthusiasm of a well-trained professional.

Karvelas took over hosting duties of the much-loved program when long-time host, Fran Kelly, stepped down after 17 years last year.

READ MORE: Patricia Karvelas prepares to go off script in new ABC RN Breakfast role.

She told The Guardian today that she accepts there’ll be a ‘period of grief’ for the loss of Kelly, but she’s determined to show listeners “that the show’s spirit will continue.”

“That’s my first project: to sort of steady the ship. When you lose a host there is a period of grief and adjustment that I’m very prepared for,” Karvelas said in the interview.

READ MORE: Patricia Karvelas announced as the new host of ABC’s RN Breakfast program.

Once that job’s been done, Karvelas’ next focus will be on ensuring the radio program has a national focus, even though it is being produced from her hometown of Melbourne rather than Sydney.

“This country is big and vast and the experiences we have in it are just so diverse and different,” she said.

Patricia Karvelas (right) took over hosting duties of the much-loved program when long-time host, Fran Kelly (left), stepped down after 17 years last year.

“What I am interested in is the truth and sometimes if you pursue the truth and facts they can take you to places unexpected.”

READ MORE: ABC’s Patricia Karvelas opens up about difficult childhood and entering the field of journalism.

Karvelas is known as one of the most driven people in media and there’s no doubt she’ll be successful in her new role.

Source: The Guardian.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Axion Esti’ concert to be celebrated in three Australian cities

Composer Mikis Theodorakis' stirring musical oratorio "Axion Esti" to lyrics by Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis set for Australia.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA youth enjoy Easter craft workshop

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) youth took part in an Orthodox Easter Workshop on Sunday, April 21 at Olympic Hall.

Voting, Citizenship, Identity: Interview with Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas

In his exclusive interview with The Greek Herald, Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas unpacks core responsibilities.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities March for Justice

The Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities joined voices to demand Federal parliamentary recognition of their ancestors' genocides.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

You May Also Like

My People: A historical documentary by Anna Rezan

“My People” film is the untold story of the Jews of Greece during the Holocaust and was screened at Palace Cinema Como in Melbourne.

Greece’s PM emphasises importance of strong Armed Forces for national security

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis visited on Tuesday the Special Forces Command of the Hellenic Navy in Skaramangas.

Students’ Greek pride shines through the rain at Australian Hellenic Memorial

The Australian Hellenic Memorial Foundation (AHMF) has been holding its School Competition since 2010 come rain or shine.