Former surgeon George Dimitroulis faces multiple lawsuits over TMJ implants

·

Oral and maxillofacial surgeon Dr George Dimitroulis is facing legal action from multiple former patients after issues arose with the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) replacement system he invented and supplied through his company, Maxoniq.

Patients allege they were not informed of Dimitroulis’ financial stake in the implant, a potential conflict of interest under Medical Board of Australia guidelines.

Bree, one of 11 patients interviewed, said: “There was never a mention of that.” Amy, another patient, described severe complications after her surgery, saying, “I was living on liquids. Everything tasted like metal and it just felt like I was being poisoned from the inside out.”

Chloe required a third operation to replace loose screws, while Jodie, who had surgery in 2018, continues to suffer severe nerve pain.

World-leading TMJ surgeon Dr Gary Bouloux noted that Dimitroulis’ implant has a high complication rate compared with other devices.

“For the average patient who hasn’t had a prior joint replacement… I’ve never seen a screw failure,” he said, while Dimitroulis’ 2021 study admitted a 13.9 per cent complication rate over five years.

Legal action is underway, with Amy among 13 patients represented by Slater and Gordon for medical negligence. Bree said the surgery left her unable to tolerate noise, forcing her to move from inner-city Melbourne.

“I actually do feel that my life ended that day of the surgery,” she said.

Dimitroulis retired from surgical practice in 2024 and currently holds non-practising registration.

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) previously found his conduct amounted to “unsatisfactory professional performance” and posed “an ongoing risk to the health and safety of the public,” ordering education and an audit of his practice while allowing him to continue operating at the time.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) confirmed the implant system was approved under ARTG 276176, with 21 device incident reports received, and a 2021 hazard alert issued following consultation with Maxoniq.

Epworth HealthCare stated Dimitroulis retired from surgical practice there in 2024, and St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne confirmed he had not worked there since 2020.

Patients and legal representatives continue to pursue claims, highlighting concerns over transparency, device safety, and conflicts of interest in private medical practice.

Source: 9Now.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

‘Two Homelands’ documentary to screen in Melbourne and Perth for the first time

After a successful tour of Cyprus, Kay Pavlou’s documentary ‘Two Homelands’ has screened in Darwin and Adelaide.

US intercepts Iranian missiles, destroys six boats as Trump delivers blunt warning

The United States military intercepted Iranian attacks on both naval and commercial vessels, destroying six of Tehran's small boats.

Cortona lamp mystery one step closer to being solved

Shrouded in mystery since its discovery in central Italy in 1840, the Cortona oil lamp has recently revealed more insights into its date.