Alexis Theodorou says social media ban for under-16s has failed to make an impact

·

When Australia introduced a landmark ban on social media access for children under 16 late last year, it was widely seen as a bold step aimed at protecting young people from the mental health risks associated with online platforms.

However, according to abc.net.au, four months after its implementation, frustration is growing among parents who say the measure has yet to deliver meaningful results. Many report that their children continue to use popular platforms such as Snapchat, Instagram and TikTok with little restriction, raising concerns about how effectively the rules are being enforced. This comes as the eSafety Commission signals a shift from simply monitoring compliance to actively enforcing the law.

Among those speaking to ABC News is parent Alexis Theodorou, who says the changes have had little impact.

“He hasn’t been removed from any of the social media platforms that he uses,” she said.

“It seems to me a bit optimistic to think that all the social media companies would just go, ‘OK, we’ll just get rid of all the under-16s off social media’.” Ms Theodorou added that she would have preferred earlier action.

Source: abc.net.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Golden Dawn member Christos Pappas still at large

Pappas had checked in with his local police station in the northern Athens suburb of Papagou on October 1, as he was obliged to do, but has not been seen since then.

Gezel Bardossi named ‘One to Watch’ at NSW Women of the Year Awards   

The Greek Italian Australian teenager Gezel Bardossi has been named a recipient of the NSW Women of the Year Awards for 2024. Read more here.

‘I found a homeland in Greece’: Syrian refugee on his way to Tokyo Paralympics

Ibrahim al-Hussein is a refugee in Greece and he is set to participate in the Tokyo Paralympics in late August.