Fan released after testimony over football violence in Athens

·

A Panathinaikos FC (PAO) fan who was detained over the football violence on August 7 in the Nea Philadelphia district of Athens, was released after testifying before a prosecutor on Tuesday.

A total of 105 individuals have been charged for their involvement in the violent clash between rival football club supporters before a AEK Athens and Dinamo Zagreb match in Greece on August 7.

The 43-year-old fan had been arrested this week on a warrant over the football violence.

The man rejected all charges against him, claiming before a prosecutor he was not in Athens at the time when the attack erupted by visiting Dinamo Zagreb fans outside the AEK home stadium.

According to Ekathimerini, the investigator and the prosecutor disagreed on whether the man should be released on conditions, and the decision was referred to a judicial council.

The investigator had requested the man make monthly visits to the police department, reported amna.gr.

Over 100 people have been charged after a violent fan brawl in Athens, Greece.

In testifying, the Panathinaikos fan presented tickets, toll receipts, and card payments to prove he was on holiday between August 2 and 8 on Kefalonia island, Greece. The man’s girlfriend testified in court claiming they were together on the island and not in Athens at the time of the attack.

Over 100 individuals, primarily Croatian nationals, have faced severe charges and pre-trial detention in connection with the clashes leading to the tragic death of Michalis Katsouris, a 29-year-old AEK fan, in Athens, as reported by Greek authorities.

A funeral service was held on August 11 for the 29-year-old AEK fan, Michalis Katsouris, who died from a stab wound during the violent attack.

Investigations continue for the tragic death of Michalis Katsouris, a 29-year-old AEK fan, who was fatally stabbed by unknown persons during the violent football attack in Athens.

Read more: UEFA and Greece crack down on football violence after fan’s death in Athens

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Mickoski says government to respect Prespa Treaty but he will personally use ‘Macedonia’

Hristijan Mickoski said he will respect the Prespa Agreement, but will continue to use the name Macedonia in his public remarks.

Greek Solution Party calls for intervention on language teacher shortage in Australia

The lack of applications to fill teacher positions in Greek schools abroad came to the forefront following a query submitted to Parliament.

Andreas Andrianopoulos becomes oldest debutant on Australia’s Richest 250 list

The Australian has released its annual Rich List for 2025 and 13 Australians of Greek heritage are among the names.