Death toll from Greece-Italy ferry blaze rises to two

·

Rescue crews on Wednesday recovered a second body from a ferry that caught fire while sailing from Greece to Italy last week, Greek authorities said.

The man, whose identity could not be immediately confirmed, was among 10 passengers who had still been listed as missing.

The smouldering hulk of the Italian-flagged Euroferry Olympia was towed to the mainland port of Astakos in western Greece on Wednesday to facilitate further search and rescue operations onboard.

READ MORE: Greece resumes ‘difficult’ search on burning ferry as ten people still missing.

The Italian-flagged Euroferry Olympia was towed to the mainland port of Astakos.

A 64-strong team of firefighters have been sent to Astakos to help with the operation. Their first task is to remove some trucks for easier access in the search for the nine passengers still unaccounted for.

The ferry was carrying at least 292 passengers and crew when it caught fire on Friday, three hours after it left the northwestern Greek port of Igoumenitsa for Brindisi in Italy.

A total of 281 people were safely evacuated, while the body of a Greek man was discovered inside the ship on Sunday.

READ MORE: Greece reports first fatality after blaze on ferry, 10 still missing.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

South Melbourne FC claim victory in Greek derby against Port Melbourne FC

Over the weekend, South Melbourne FC defeated Port Melbourne FC away from home 3-2 in a Greek derby. Read more here.

Mates and Allies: Australian Embassy in Greece’s new Greek Campaign book

During this year's Greek campaign commemorations the Australian Embassy in Greece released a new book entitled “Mates and Allies.”

‘Lost Homeland’: Greek Australian Cultural League calls for artists for new exhibition

The GACL is organising a group art exhibition on the theme of “Lost Homelands”, to align with this year’s commemoration of the 100 years from the Asia Minor Catastrophe.