Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou vows to go ahead with Australia Day events despite backlash

·

A western Sydney council at the heart of a recent COVID-19 outbreak will continue to host Australia Day activities — a move that Mayor Steve Christou defended despite the backlash his comments about cancelling events have attracted.

Mr Christou said last week that cancelling Australia Day events was “completely unacceptable and quite frankly unAustralian”.

“Any cancellation of an Australia Day event is unAustralian and a cheap and lazy excuse to not conduct a COVID-safe event,” Mr Christou told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“It‘s very sad that the bed-wetters and cancel-culture philosophers are dictating our agendas before a health directive has been issued,” he added. “I feel this is taking the easy way out.”

“The reality is COVID-19 has now been around for more than a year,’’ he said.

“There comes a point where you can’t keep cancelling everything; we have to accept for the foreseeable future COVID is going to be around.’’

But most Sydney councils are cancelling events to keep communities safe.

Cumberland’s neighbouring local council area, Canterbury-Bankstown, have cancelled pool parties and concerts on Australia Day, deeming them “non-essential”.

Another neighbour, Parramatta Council, has postponed its Summer Nights Live concerts on January 25 and 26 indefinitely, and has moved it citizenship ceremonies online.

Liverpool, North Sydney, Inner West, and the Hills Councils in NSW have all cancelled events.

READ MORE: Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou sends additional support to Berala’s multicultural communities

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Seven police officers arrested for homicide in Perama shootout

Seven police officers involved in a shootout that killed one and injured a teenager were arrested for intentional homicide.

Thousands attend inaugural Brunswick Greek Festival

Thousands of people attended the Brunswick Greek Festival which was organised and run by the St Eleftherios Albion Street Brunswick parish.

Polites family legal battle heats up with estate investigation

The bitter legal dispute within one of the state’s wealthiest families centred around the estate of Florence Gemenis Polites has escalated.