Business Sydney’s Paul Nicolaou welcomes review of NSW Visitor Economy Strategy

·

Millions of extra airline seats, tens of thousands of hotel rooms and a focus on experience-led tourism will transform the state’s visitor economy into a $91 billion powerhouse as set out in a government review of the NSW Visitor Economy Strategy.  

On Tuesday, October 8, the NSW Premier Chris Minns and his Tourism Minister John Graham have set ambitious targets for the visitor economy. 

Business Sydney, Business NSW and Business Western Sydney were proud to host the release of the strategy and publicly support the NSW Government plans going forward.

The Government has adopted the more ambitious goal of $91 billion in annual visitor economy expenditure by 2035 – a 40% increase on the original goal. 

(L-R) Paul Nicolaou, Executive Director of Business Sydney, David Borger, Executive Director of Business Western Sydney, The Hon. John Graham MLC, and Sally Loane, the Chair of Destination NSW facilitating a Q&A on the review.

Such a strong growth trajectory will further cement tourism as a critical pillar of future growth in the NSW economy, driving up to 150,000 new jobs by 2035.

The strategy identifies key challenges including:

  • The need for 40,000 extra hotel rooms, a 41% increase on what’s currently available.
  • Significant worker and skills shortages in roles such as tour guides and chefs.
  • Need for increased business event facilities in Sydney, Western Sydney and priority regional areas.

The Premier said “We are ready to put our shoulder to the wheel and attract even more travellers to NSW, boosting local business and creating thousands of jobs.”

Minister John Graham said “NSW has the nature, the culture and incredible experiences. We just need to match it with hard work and planning.”

The Hon. John Graham MLC with the Premier the Hon. Chris Minns MP launching the review.

The Executive Director of Business Sydney Paul Nicolaou said it’s time to “confirm the international appeal of the experiences on offer in Sydney.”

“Last week Sydney was voted the ‘best city in the world’ in the Condè Nast Traveller UK’s 2024 Readers’ Choice Awards The poll cited Sydney’s ‘unique, indoor-outdoor way of life’ which speaks directly to the review’s recommendation to focus the NSW Visitor Economy Strategy on ‘experience tourism’,” he added.

“Business Sydney fully supports the State Government’s plans and will work with all stakeholders to help achieve the goals and objectives of the review.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Anna Benaki-Psarouda, first woman Greek Parliament Speaker, dies

Anna Benaki-Psarouda, a former Athens Law School professor, long-serving MP and Speaker of the Hellenic Parliament, has died aged 91.

‘You changed my life’: Devin Haney thanks George Kambosos Jr after world title rematch

After 12 rounds of intense fighting at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on Sunday, Devin Haney defeated George Kambosos Jr for the second time.

Brunswick City coach Nick Kyriopoulos handed 16-week ban after NPL clash

Football Victoria have suspended Brunswick City coach Nick Kyriopoulos for 16 weeks following an altercation with a lineswoman.