Maxie Antoniou calls for coronial inquest into daughter Courtney Herron’s bashing death

·

*Warning: The following story could be distressing for some readers.*

A spokeswoman for the Victorian State Coroner has confirmed to The Age that the death of murdered Melbourne woman, Courtney (Konstandina) Herron, is now the subject of an active coronial investigation.

“State Coroner Judge John Cain received the brief of evidence on 5 February 2021,” the spokeswoman said to the media outlet.

READ MORE: ‘She died because of her kindness’: A mother’s life sentence.

Maxie Antoniou at the grave of her daughter, Courtney Herron. Photo: Jason South.

“His Honour is currently reviewing the brief to determine the future course of the investigation and if an inquest will be held.”

Courtney’s mother, Maxie Antoniou, told The Age she strongly supported a public coronial inquest into her daughter’s death.

“Justice for Courtney is not over,” she said. “This is what we want, for her voice to be heard, how she got to be there and the systemic failures.”

Courtney was only 25 when she was brutally bashed to death in Melbourne’s Royal Park.

Ms Herron was 25 when she was brutally bashed to death in Melbourne’s Royal Park by Henry Hammond in the early hours of May 25 in 2019.

READ MORE: Henry Hammond found not guilty of Courtney Herron’s murder due to schizophrenia.

Hammond was found not guilty due to mental impairment of the murder of Ms Herron in August last year, with a court ruling that he was in the midst of a relapse of his schizophrenic illness at the time of the killing.

On Wednesday, he was committed by the Victorian Supreme Court to a nominal term of 25 years at secure forensic mental health facility, Thomas Embling Hospital.

READ MORE: Courtney Herron’s killer ordered to spend 25 years in psychiatric hospital.

Her mother said she hoped an inquest could examine how flaws within the mental health and bail system had failed her daughter.

“It could make fundamental changes to the whole system and people and the processes will be held to account,” she told The Age.

“That’s the most important thing out of the whole process.”

READ MORE: Courtney Herron’s father demands justice for her brutal murder.

Source: The Age.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Turkish consulate employee’s car set on fire in Greece

Turkey denounced early Tuesday the setting on fire of a Turkish Consulate General employee’s car in the Greek city of Thessaloniki.

Exploring the Greek language diaspora: The journey of Eva Boleti

Up-and-coming figure in the study and teaching of the Greek language in Australia, Eva Boleti, shares her journey through immigrant letters.

Greek MP Nikos Papadopoulos censured and fined after vandalising artworks in Athens

Greek MP Nikos Papadopoulos has been censured by Parliament following his vandalism of artworks at the National Gallery in Athens.