George Kambosos Jr. ready to defend his title in unified mega fight

·

Boxer George Kambosos is vowing to reign for years to come after being crowned the world lightweight champion. 

The self-proclaimed ‘Emperor’, 28, said his win over previously unbeaten Teofimo Lopez in New York didn’t come easy. 

“As much as I had to go do it inside the ropes, my family and my friends and both my countries lifted me, especially in that round 10,” Kambosos said on Thursday.

“It’s a big moment for everyone that’s been around me, a big moment for Australia.”

“I had to go and really earn it. I had to go to the back yard (of my rivals) multiple times and to go and beat this guy in his prime and in his home town, no Australian fighter’s ever done that before.”

Kambosos is tipped to defend his “jewels” in a unified mega-fight against WBC champion Devin Haney next year in Australia.

“I want him to come and he will, so I’ll take everything off him as well,” Kambosos said.

“These belts aren’t going anywhere. They’re here to stay.”

“Haney, (Gervonta) Davis, (Vasiliy) Lomachenko, (Ryan) Garcia, they’re all going to get it.”

Source: ESPN

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Olive oil tourism: Tasting, tours, picking, menus and more

Olive oil tourism (oleotourism) attracts increasing numbers of visitors who seek authentic experiences in olive oil producing countries.

102-year-old ANZAC Leslie Cook receives letter of gratitude from Greece’s Prime Minister

ANZAC veteran Leslie Cook, one of the surviving soldiers of the Battle of Crete, has received a letter of gratitude from Greek PM Mitsotakis.

Are you a Greek organisation in NSW? You might be eligible for this grant

“The COVID-19 pandemic and measures to control its spread have presented significant challenges to our multicultural communities,” Mr Lee said.