The coronavirus cluster on Sydney’s northern beaches has grown to 83 cases, as record numbers of people come forward for testing in NSW.
More than 38,000 people were swabbed for the virus in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday, and 15 new infections were recorded.
While the number of new cases is significantly lower than the 30 found yesterday, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said: “Unfortunately, one day’s results doesn’t tell us it’s a trend.”
She said authorities were monitoring the situation “on an hourly basis” and that on Wednesday morning they would provide an update as to what restrictions would be in place for Christmas.
“I would love to be able to tell everybody today what Christmas might look like in New South Wales or the northern beaches, but we’re not in a position to do that yet,” she said.
Despite the drop in case numbers, Ms Berejiklian warned the community to stay across continuing alerts on venues as more would be added to the already extensive list today.
Chief Health Officer, Kerry Chant, said the source of the outbreak remained unknown but the seeding event is believed to have been December 11 at the Avalon RSL, which then transferred to the Avalon Bowling Club.
She said one of the venues that had been alerted was the Salon for Hair in Turramurra on Sydney’s north shore — and is now linked to five cases.
Anyone who attended the salon between December 15 and 18 needs to be tested and self-isolate for 14 days.
“We believe we have contacted the vast majority of people, but some people had incorrect or eligible contact details,” she said.
“Please prompt your friends and relatives to check whether they attended on those days, follow the advice and get tested immediately and self-isolate if you’re one or two people who we haven’t managed to track down.”
Source: ABC News.