Beloved Father Andreas from St Catherine Greek Orthodox Church in Malvern passes away

·

Parish Priest at St Catherine Greek Orthodox Church in East Malvern, Father Andreas Papadimitropoulos, passed away on Saturday afternoon after a battle with an aggressive form of cancer.

The announcement came via the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia – District of Melbourne’s Facebook page.

“It is with deep sadness that we inform the faithful that Fr Andreas Papadimitropoulos, Parish Priest at St Catherine Church, East Malvern, has fallen asleep in the Lord early this afternoon Saturday 13th February, 2021,” the statement reads.

“Father’s family thank you for your prayers and condolences. Funeral details will be released shortly.”

Parishioners who had been touched by the presence of Father Andreas flooded the post with heartfelt messages of condolences and at times, reminisced on his incredible influence on their lives.

“Priest for my wedding and my daughter’s christenings, he was one of the most understanding and caring priests we know. Thoughts are with his family in this time of need,” wrote one parishioner, Dimi Dimas.

Only two weeks earlier, the parish had held a special Euxelaion Service for the health and recovery of Father Andreas.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greek Democritus League’s celebration of workers in Melbourne

The Greek Democritus League held its annual May Day dance on May 18 at White Rose Receptions in Thornbury.

Dimitri Valkanis named on Subway Young Socceroos squad for South American tour

Subway Young Socceroos’ Head Coach, Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-man squad for a tour of South America.

GCM Board meet with President of Tashkent Greek Community

Costas Politis made a short trip to Melbourne, where he gave a seminar and had the opportunity to meet with the Greek Community of Melbourne.

Tsigris family weigh in on energy debate for Queensland’s Daintree Rainforest

The Tsigris family weigh in on the recent energy debate raging in Far North Queensland's Daintree Rainforest.

Olympiacos FC on verge of history as they prepare for Europa Conference League final

Olympiacos FC have a chance to become the first Greek club to win a European trophy in Wednesday’s Europa Conference League final against Italy's...

You May Also Like

Dionysus Theatre Company provides plenty of laughs at premiere of ‘I have a goal, your Honour’

Dionysus Theatre Company opened to huge applause on Friday, September 18, with the premiere of their comedy, ‘I have a goal, Your Honour.’

New exhibition brings key photographs by Effy Alexakis to Melbourne’s Hellenic Museum

New exhibition brings key photographs by Effy Alexakis to Melbourne's Hellenic Museum from November 4 this year.

Demand for luxury property shifts from Mykonos to Athens

Greece’s Sotheby’s International Realty has recorded an increase for demand in luxury property in Athens compared to Mykonos in 2023.