‘My Christening Box’ modernise religious icons

·

Marble, Onyx, Brazilian crystal and Terrazzo. All luxury materials which most people don’t typically associate with religious icons.

That is until co-founders of ‘My Christening Box,’ Mary Panayi and Soula Violakis, came along with their brilliant and innovative idea to modernise and customise religious icons according to the needs and style of their business clients.

“We came up with the idea during COVID. Soula lost her job and I decided to leave an industry that I was in for 25 years,” Mary tells The Greek Herald exclusively.

Co-founders of ‘My Christening Box,’ Mary Panayi and Soula Violakis. Photo supplied.

“During this time, we recognised people were still having christenings without the celebrations as people still needed to christen their children. The thought was to create the essential christening box with a personalised icon to lower costs for an unpredictable future.”

From there, Mary and Soula, who have known each other for seven years, decided to launch their small business ‘My Christening Box’ and now offer “an Australian made perspex christening box with all the essential items included.”

“We decided to customise our icons with different types of marble, onyx, Brazilian crystal and terrazzo that is designed in Sydney for us and sent to Italy,” Mary explains.

“We crack the stone ourselves and then… transfer [the image] onto the cracked stone. We hand paint around the icon and then we use resin for a sleek finish.”

Modernised religious icons by My Christening Box. Photo supplied.

Although this process is clearly a time-consuming one, Mary says it’s rewarding and humbling to see how emotional clients get when they receive their icons.

“We strive to execute every single icon to perfection… We believe that our icons attract a Greek target market because it is a modernised take on a religious icon,” Mary says.

“Soula and I feel that if it is not up to us as parents to educate our children with our religious beliefs, it will all get lost. Our parents came here from Greece and passed on these beliefs and now it is our duty to do the same.”

If you would like your own personalised icon or christening box, you can find ‘My Christening Box’ on Instagram.

DaneBank Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

South Sydney Rabbitohs halfback Lachlan Ilias to explore options with rival NRL clubs

South Sydney halfback, Lachlan Ilias has been granted permission to explore his options at rival NRL clubs as he prepares to leave the Rabbitohs. According...

835 Greeks in Oceania register to postal vote in European elections before deadline

As of 4:30 p.m. on Holy Monday, 188,511 Greeks from 127 different countries have registered for postal voting in European elections.

Families angered as six convicted, 15 cleared over deadly 2018 wildfire in Mati

An Athens court has convicted six people and cleared 15 others over wildfires which killed more than 100 people at a Greek resort.

Winners shine at award ceremony for the 1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition

The Greek Festival of Sydney held the ‘1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition’ this year and recently announced the winners. Read more now

Melbourne’s Vanilla Lounge preserves nearly 50-year-old family tsoureki recipe

Located at Eaton Mall in the heart of Oakleigh, Melbourne, Vanilla Lounge is where you will find some of your Greek favourites. Read more now

You May Also Like

Schools shut down in Greece due to low birth rates and emigration

As Greece’s population continues to decline, due to low birth rates and high emigration, schools and kindergartens have been closing in high numbers.

Sydney Olympic FC ready to face off against Sydney United as NSW NPL season returns Feb. 27

Head Coach and Olympic Hall of Fame Legend Ante Juric said the players have enjoyed a great pre-season and are ready for the 2021 season start.

Man breaks world record by swimming in the Corinthian Sea

A Belgian athlete has broken the universal open water swimming record by swimming 131km in the Gulf of Corinth.