Penelope Katsavos says she misses ‘feeling safe’ after vicious attack in Melbourne

·

78-year-old grandmother, Penelope Katsavos, says she misses ‘feeling safe’ after being beaten unconscious in a vicious attack outside of South Yarra Greek Orthodox Church in Victoria last year, The Age has reported.

Ms Katsavos was unlocking the front door of the church, where she volunteered, when 27-year-old Amrick Roy viciously attacked her shortly after 6am on March 13, 2021.

She lay alone on the ground on Barry Street for half an hour before she was found by a council worker. Ms Katsavos suffered bleeding on the brain, a fractured wrist, severe facial injuries and a badly broken pelvis.

Penelope Katsavos after the attack.

In a victim impact statement read to the County Court of Victoria on Friday, Ms Katsavos said the impact of these crimes have been “immense, life-changing and utterly devastating first and foremost to me and then like a shockwave throughout my entire family.”

The grandmother of six said the attack robbed her of her independence and the ability to care for her husband.

Penelope Katsavos with her husband Thomas, who suffers dementia.

“At 78, I was looking forward to spending any time I had left loving and caring for my husband. Amrick Roy, your choice means I’ll be spending my last days, months and years trying to cope with pain and fatigue… isolated from my friends and family and separated from my husband,” the statement reads.

“I miss having freedom, I miss feeling safe… No sentence you are given will change the life sentence you have given me.”

Despite this, Ms Katsavos added that she had forgiven Roy and hoped he would somehow learn to be a better person.

Ms Katsavos said she has forgiven Roy (left). Photo: (R) Lana Murphy Twitter/Nine News.

Roy has pleaded guilty to five charges including recklessly causing serious injury, robbery and three counts of assault stemming from his spree of violent attacks in Prahran and South Yarra.

He remains in custody ahead of sentencing.

Source: The Age.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greeks abroad can now begin to register in online electoral list

Greeks who reside outside Greece can now register in a special online electoral list if they want to vote in the next national elections.

Australian Community Media prepares to sell seven news publications

Australian Community Media is preparing to sell up to seven mastheads as the newspaper business is dealing with rising print costs.

Yanis Varoufakis’ warning to Greeks in Australia: ‘Welcome to Technofeudalism’

Yanis Varoufakis speaks exclusively to The Greek Herald shortly before his lecture at the University of Sydney.