‘I am truly sorry’: Eleni Petinos MP sacked following bullying allegations

·

The NSW Minister for Small Business and Fair Trading, Eleni Petinos, has been sacked after allegations she bullied workers in her office emerged last week.

In a statement issued on Sunday night, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet announced he was dumping the Miranda MP from state cabinet “with immediate effect.”

The Premier said he made the decision “after some further matters concerning her were brought to my attention.”

On Friday, it was revealed a former adviser to Ms Petinos had sent an anonymous complaint to the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet claiming they had been “relentlessly bullied” in their short tenure in her office.

NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet (left) sacked Eleni Petinos (right) last night.

Ms Petinos is alleged to have used several slurs towards the staffer and threatened she would “kill” them for making a small mistake.

At the time, Ms Petinos strenuously denied “any allegations of bullying or improper conduct.”

Following the announcement of her sacking on Sunday night, Ms Petinos said: “I would never intentionally offend anyone or make them feel uncomfortable, and if I did I am truly sorry.”

“I am proud of my work while I served the people of NSW as Minister for Small Business and Minister for Fair Trading. I fought hard for small businesses who are the lifeblood of NSW and I will continue to advocate for them regardless of my role,” Ms Petinos added.

Eleni Petinos will continue in her role as the Member for Miranda.

“The intense pressures and stresses of such important portfolios are significant for both staff and their Minister. I thank my staff for their efforts in supporting me to deliver for the people of NSW.”

Ms Petinos said she will continue to “pursue politics to make a positive difference… as the Member for Miranda.”

Ms Petinos was elevated to the ministry in December last year, as one of three new Liberal women promoted to cabinet. The Premier has now lost one of the seven Coalition women in his 26-person cabinet.

Minister for Customer Service and Digital Government, Victor Dominello, will assume Ms Petinos’ portfolio responsibilities.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Greece’s Ambassador to Australia: ‘The OXI Day message is timeless’

Greece’s Ambassador to Australia, Stavros Venizelos has issued a message for OXI Day, emphasising the strong historical bonds between Australia and Greece.

George Ellis earns ARIA nod for ‘Mimi’s Symphony’

Acclaimed Greek Australian conductor George Ellis is enjoying a milestone month, marked by an ARIA Award nomination.

Greek workers defy ban with social distancing to mark Labour Day

Greek workers and students wearing masks and gloves lined up outside parliament to commemorate May Day, defying a government ban on movement