Labor announces $1.8 million in funding for five Greek Centre hubs

·

Labor pledged $1.8 million earlier this morning for an expansion of the Greek Centre Hub program in Melbourne.

Announced on Wednesday, this funding will see an upgrade in amenities and facilities at five key Greek community locations across Melbourne, including St Demetrios in Windsor and St Eleftherios in Brunswick if an Albanese Labor government is elected.

Photo: The Greek Herald/Argyro Vourdoumpa

This funding acknowledges the integrality of the Greek community to our thriving multiculturalism in Victoria and will allow for the expansion of Greek Community of Melbourne’s cultural, educational and community programs as we emerge from the pandemic.

The Deputy Leader of the Australian Labor Party, Richard Marles MP, said this is an exciting announcement “for one of Melbourne’s most vibrant local communities.”

“Labor is committed to supporting communities which give back so much life and makeup of Melbourne’s rich culture,” Mr Marles said.

Photo: The Greek Herald/Argyro Vourdoumpa

“This commitment from Labor once again echoes our commitment for a better future for all.”

The Shadow Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Andrew Giles MP, told The Greek Herald at the announcement that the Albanese government understands how important the upgrade of these Hubs are to keeping culture alive.

“This is a recognition of a couple of things: the significance of the Greek Australian community to Melbourne and to Australia, but also the role the community has played through difficult times,” Mr Giles said.

“[The role they’ve played] in keeping community members safe and connected but looking forward beyond the pandemic to understand how important it is that people can gather closer to home, whether it is for older citizens to enjoy each other’s company and speak the language, or for those educational and cultural activities that are so important to keep younger Greek Australians connected to culture.”

Bill Shorten MP, the Shadow Minister for the NDIS, said: “These community hubs played a vital role in the fight against COVID and will go on to provide fantastic cultural, educational and community programs.”

Labor candidate for Higgins, Dr Michelle Ananda-Rajah, also said that “an Albanese Labor government will make sure that the community is able to extend their integral educational and cultural work for years to come.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Our People Their Stories’ revives the era when Hellenism took root in Australia

"Our People Their Stories – Οι Άνθρωποί μας, οι Ιστορίες τους" is the name of the pioneering project undertaken by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese...

Tributes flow for former Liberal MP for Kooyong, Petro Georgiou

Petro Georgiou, a former Liberal MP for Kooyong and a respected advocate for human rights, has died peacefully at the age of 77.

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

You May Also Like

EU states to take in 1,600 migrant children in Greece

A group of European Union countries has agreed to take in at least 1,600 migrant children in Greece traveling without their parents

BREAKING: Australian government and private sectors hit by major cyber attack

Australia is currently being hit with a massive cyber attack by a “sophisticated, state-based cyber actor”, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.

‘We are bracing ourselves’: Angelo Gavrielatos reacts to NSW back-to-school plan

The NSW Teachers Federation President, Angelo Gavrielatos, said his members were concerned for the health and safety of students and staff.