St Basil’s operators made to give evidence at inquest into COVID deaths

·

The operators of the St Basil’s nursing home in Fawkner must testify at an inquest into the deaths of the home’s residents last year.

Kon Kontis and Vicki Kos first requested to be excused from giving evidence last week on the grounds they might incriminate themselves.

They fronted the Victorian Coroners Court on Wednesday only for state Coroner John Cain to reject their requests.

Cain required both of them to give evidence but provided them with a certificate that means nothing they say at the inquest can be used against them unless it is false information.

Mr. Kontis and Ms. Kos were running the home in July last year when a COVID-19 outbreak led to the deaths of 45 residents.

Last week, a woman whose mother died from COVID-19 after living at St Basil’s told the inquest excusing the pair would be a “slap in the face”.

“What transpired should never have happened,” Helen Karikas, whose mother Vicky Patsakos died in August 2020 after she got COVID-19, said.

“The evidence has demonstrated how many opportunities were missed to prevent this tragedy.”

“I’m calling on you now – please do not allow Vicki Kos and Kon Kontis to be excused from giving evidence.”

Source: Mandurah Mail

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Georgia Pandelios shares why the Mediterranean diet is the king of all diets

We often recommend the traditional Mediterranean diet for various medical issues because of how wonderfully nutritious it is.

Man arrested for attempting to illegally sell ancient Greek sculpture

An astonishing case of illicit antiquity dealings, involving an incalculable cultural value head of a Kouros (ancient Greek sculpture), was uncovered by the Attica Security Directorate's...

Nick Kyrgios expected to be fit for Australian Open 2024

Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley has given insight to the return of the Greek Australian tennis icon Nick Kyrgios for 2024 Australian Open.