Greek tennis sensation, Stefanos Tsitsipas, wins Monte-Carlo Masters

·

Stefanos Tsitsipas won the Monte Carlo Masters without dropping a set, beating Andrey Rublev 6-3, 6-3 on Sunday for his first title this year and sixth overall.

Fourth-seeded Tsitsipas was in dominant form as he edged 4-3 ahead of the sixth-seeded Russian in their career meetings, having also beaten him on clay last year in the French Open quarterfinals.

The 22-year-old Greek won his last title in February last year at the Open 13 indoor tournament in Marseille — just weeks before France went into lockdown for the first time because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Stefanos Tsitsipas won the Monte Carlo Masters without dropping a set.

The 23-year-old Rublev was aiming for his second title of the year, his first at Masters level and ninth overall. He had produced an audacious display to defeat record 11-time champion Rafael Nadal on Friday, and further confirm why he is one of the rising stars of tennis.

After winning the ATP Cup with Russia, Rublev reached the quarterfinals at the Australian Open and then won the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam last month for his fourth title in seven months. Since Rotterdam, he’s reached four consecutive semifinals, including Monte Carlo.

“Let your dreams be your wings,” Tsitsipas said after the win.

But he couldn’t even get a break point against Tsitsipas.

“Let your dreams be your wings,” Tsitsipas said on social media after his win. “Monte-Carlo thank you for all the small things that add to the journey! Appreciation is a wonderful thing.”

Did You Know? Tsitsipas is not the first member of his family to triumph at the Monte-Carlo Country Club. His mother, Julia Salnikova, won a junior title at the venue in 1981.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Sydney restaurant owner Jim Kritsotakis facing brunt of staff shortages

Jim Kritsotakis is the owner of Limani in Narrabeen and says his restaurant is short of staff ahead of an easing of restrictions in NSW.

Greek American family found dead on Father’s Day in suspected murder-suicide

A husband, wife and two children were fatally shot on Father’s Day in what investigators are probing as a murder-suicide.

Oakleigh Grammar welcomes Greece’s Deputy Foreign Minister for historic visit

Oakleigh Grammar welcomed Ioannis Loverdos, Greece’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for Greeks Abroad, as part of his official tour.