Turkey’s Defence Minister issues direct threat to Greece

·

Turkish Defence Minister, Hulusi Akar, has warned that the Greek people will “suffer the most damage” as a result of tensions that, he said, are being fueled by Athens and by recent moves from Greece to strengthen its armed forces. 

He also reiterated Ankara’s allegations that Greek fighter jets harassed the Cesme hydrographic vessel last week. 

“As you know, Greek fighter jets disturbed the Cesme, which is conducting scientific research. Of course, the appropriate response was given by our officials,” Akar said.

“I emphasise once more that this attitude has nothing to do with good neighborly relations.”

Akar also accused Athens of trying to turn Greek-Turkish disputes into a broader issue affecting Turkey’s relations with the European Union and the United States.

Referring to Ankara’s “Blue Homeland ” doctrine, which envisages Turkish influence over large swathes of the Mediterranean, he said “we have no aspirations for anyone’s rights, lands and waters.”

“But will not give up our rights. We are determined and able to defend our rights in the Blue Homeland, as well as in Cyprus,” he added. 

In response, Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, told Parliament that Greece is not going to enter the process of responding to Turkey on every occasion. “Greece is confident,” he stressed. 

At the same time, Turkish fighter jets conducted unauthorised overflights on Friday above the islets of Agathonissi, Panagia and Oinousses.

In general, Athens sees a pattern of behavior in the recent inflammatory rhetoric, the dispatch of the Cesme in the Aegean and Friday’s overflights. This is mainly due to Ankara’s insistence on expanding the agenda of exploratory contacts, which recently resumed between the two countries, to include a wide range of issues.

The next round of exploratory contacts is not expected before the completion of the naval exercises announced by Ankara until March 5.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

Olympiacos President to face trial over death of policeman in fan violence incident

Vangelis Marinakis, the president of Olympiacos FC, has been ordered to stand trial in Greece, accused of inciting sports-related violence.

You May Also Like

Memory and identity: Dr Themistocles Kritikakos on recognition of Greek genocide

The Pontian Greek genocide will be commemorated this year in Sydney with a keynote speaking event on Friday, May 19 at the Hermes Lounge...

Michael Kratsios named as Pentagon’s top technology official

White House chief technology officer (CTO) Michael Kratsios has been recruited for another role as the Defense Department’s top official for technology.

National Geographic series ‘The Greeks’ joins ever-growing Disney Plus catalogue

National Geographic's three part series 'The Greeks' is the latest title to join Disney Plus' growing history catalogue, arriving on the platform on Friday.