Suspect admits attacking Greek Orthodox priest in Lyon over personal dispute

·

A suspect has admitted to the shooting of a Greek Orthodox priest in the French city of Lyon last week over a personal dispute, prosecutors have said.

The 40-year-old suspect told prosecutors the priest was having an affair with his wife.

The priest, Nikolaos Kakavelakis, 52, was shot twice with a sawn-off shotgun outside his church on 31 October.

He spoke to police after coming out of a coma on Wednesday.

The shooting came days after three people were killed in a knife attack at a church in the southern French city of Nice.

It was initially feared to be a copycat of what French President Emmanuel Macron called an “Islamist terrorist attack” in Nice. 

READ MORE: Suspect in Greek Orthodox priest’s shooting freed, search widens in France

The motive for the shooting in Lyon was not clear at first, with officials opening an investigation for attempted murder

But the investigation progressed this week when the priest was able to talk to the police.

The suspect, who is said to be of Georgian nationality, was arrested at his home in Lyon on Friday, French newspaper Le Parisien reported.

The newspaper, citing a statement from Lyon’s public prosecutor, Nicolas Jacquet, said the suspect “turns out to be the husband of a woman who was having an affair with the victim”.

The suspect told prosecutors he had not intended to kill the priest, who was romantically involved with his wife, a 35-year-old Russian, the newspaper said.

The priest, who is recovering after surgery, had announced his resignation from the church a month earlier.

Source: BBC News

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

Olympiacos President to face trial over death of policeman in fan violence incident

Vangelis Marinakis, the president of Olympiacos FC, has been ordered to stand trial in Greece, accused of inciting sports-related violence.

You May Also Like

George Kyriakidis spared jail after dangerous driving incident causes death of 16-year-old boy

Kyriakidis acknowledged his life had been permanently altered by his decision to take a shortcut home that day, and was already serving “a greater personal punishment” than any other he could be brought to bear.

Greek Consulate in South Australia hosts Independence Day celebrations

On March 25, the Greek Consulate of South Australia hosted an evening of cultural pride and celebration to mark Greek National Day.

Centenary parade held in Melbourne to celebrate Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia

A hundred flags were carried into Melbourne's KIA Arena by students to celebrate 100 years of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.