Samos residents left homeless after earthquake to be housed in containers

·

Residents of Samos, who were left homeless by last week’s destructive 6.7 magnitude earthquake, will be temporarily housed in containers, following a decision by Minister of Migration and Asylum, Notis Mitarakis.

In a statement, the ministry said on Tuesday that containers from the Zervos migrant reception facility on Samos were being transferred to house the residents whose homes were deemed unsafe.

The ministry said it had so far provided 20 tents, 500 sleeping bags, 1,000 blankets and 265 beds to affected residents. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees sent 100 tents to the island.

A total of 300 buildings on the island have so far been found to be temporarily unsafe to live in during a series of inspections by civil engineers after Friday’s quake.

Samos rises 18-25 centimeters above waterline after earthquake:

Scientists discovered that the island of Samos rose 18-25 cm after Friday’s powerful earthquake. Credit: AMNA.

A team of Greek scientists from the School of Geology and Geoenvironment at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens went to Samos after the earthquake in order to survey the impact it had on both the island’s topography and the state of its buildings.

According to their findings, the altitude at both the northern and southern parts of the island had permanently elevated 18 to 25 cm from its pre-earthquake elevation, due the tectonic plate activity which caused the earthquake.

The elevation change can clearly be seen in rocks along the shoreline, showing several inches of algae which had been beneath the surface of the water, now above sea level.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Athens Airport to undergo major expansion inspired by architectural heritage

Athens International Airport is set to double its passenger capacity by 2032 through a large-scale expansion and redesign.

‘Our People Their Stories’ revives the era when Hellenism took root in Australia

"Our People Their Stories – Οι Άνθρωποί μας, οι Ιστορίες τους" is the name of the pioneering project undertaken by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese...

Tributes flow for former Liberal MP for Kooyong, Petro Georgiou

Petro Georgiou, a former Liberal MP for Kooyong and a respected advocate for human rights, has died peacefully at the age of 77.

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

You May Also Like

Greek cultural festival makes triumphant return to Preston Market

On Sunday, April 7, the beloved Greek cultural festival returned to the Preston Market from 10 am to 3 pm. Read more here.

Communist Party to skip Ukrainian President’s speech in Greek Parliament

Greece’s Communist Party will not participate in a parliamentary session on April 7 where Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy will speaks.

Steve Dimopoulos secures top job as Victorian Minister for Tourism, Sport and Creative Industries

Steve Dimopoulos has been named Victorian Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, as well as Minister for Creative Industries.