Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

·

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada earlier this month, describing the incident as “completely unacceptable.”

Speaking during a conference on “National Action Plan under Conditions of Global Uncertainty,” Dendias warned the drone posed a serious threat to maritime safety in the Mediterranean.

“In addition to the apology, [Ukraine] owes us the absolute assurance that something like this will not happen again in the wider region,” he said.

Referring to the possibility of a collision involving civilian vessels, Dendias noted the drone had been located along a route commonly used by cruise ships travelling from Venice to the eastern Mediterranean.

“If a cruise ship were to go down from Venice to the Eastern Mediterranean – it was right on [the drone’s] course – and hit it, the ship would go to the bottom of the sea. How many dead would we have mourned?” he said.

“And how permissible is this thing in the Mediterranean?”

Dendias said Greece and other Mediterranean countries needed to take a firm stance over the incident, while also referencing reported Turkish legislative drafts relating to maritime claims, stressing that Greece would defend its rights if challenged.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

South Melbourne FC set for historic OFC Pro League final showdown

South Melbourne FC will contest the inaugural OFC Pro League final against Auckland FC after a 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC.

South Melbourne FC hail ‘extraordinary achievement’ after booking OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC have reached the inaugural OFC Pro League final with a dominant 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC in Auckland.

You May Also Like

‘Disturbingly high’: NSW records 478 COVID-19 cases, eight deaths

NSW recorded 478 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases and eight deaths in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday.

Aussies told missing embryos transported to Cretan hospital amid surrogacy scandal

Australians have been told their sperm, eggs and embryos from a controversial surrogacy clinic in Greece might not have not been compromised.

Adelaide Hills Council faces criticism as legal fees soar to $327,000

Adelaide Hills Council’s legal fees increased by $80,047 over the past 12 months as it established the new expenditure of $327,710.