‘No need for discussion,’ says Erdogan as Turkey restarts drilling in eastern Mediterranean

·

President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey had resumed energy exploration work in the eastern Mediterranean as Greece had not kept its promises regarding such activities in the region.

NATO members Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over overlapping claims for hydrocarbon resources and tensions flared up last month, prompting German Chancellor Angela Merkel to hold talks with the country’s leaders to ease tensions.

“We have started drilling work again,” Erdogan told reporters after participating in Friday prayers at the Hagia Sophia mosque. “There’s no need for discussion with those who have no rights, especially in maritime zones,”

Erdogan speaking in front of the press before the conversion of Hagia Sophia.

He said Turkey’s Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa, a seismic survey vessel, had been sent to the region to carry out its duties. The ship moved into waters off Cyprus in late July and remains in that region.

Erdogan made the comments when asked about an accord signed by Egypt and Greece on Thursday designating an exclusive economic zone between the two nations in the east Mediterranean.

Turkish drilling vessel Yavuz is escorted by Turkish Navy frigate TCG Gemlik (F-492) in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea off the island of Cyprus, Aug. 6, 2019.

Diplomats in Greece said their agreement nullified an accord reached last year between Turkey and the internationally recognised government of Libya.

However, Erdogan said the Egypt-Greece accord was of no value and that Turkey would sustain its agreement with Libya “decisively”. The Turkish Foreign Ministry has said the Egypt-Greece zone falls in the area of Turkey’s continental shelf.

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

Giorgos Seferis: The Nobel Prize-winning poet

On this day in 1963, the news reached Athens that George Seferis would be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, being the first Nobel to be won by a Greek.

‘Want to honour legacy’: Con Kalamaras on Estudiantina’s soulful tribute to Greek music icons

In the lead-up to the show, The Greek Herald spoke with Estudiantina member and organiser Con Kalamaras about what to expect.

Tom Panos blames PM for worsening housing crisis after confrontation at Sydney auction

Auctioneer Tom Panos says he was threatened by an angry bidder after an auction in Guildford over the weekend.