HomeNewsAustraliaSydney Olympic FC secures 2-0 victory to Manly United

Sydney Olympic FC secures 2-0 victory to Manly United




It was a much happier dressing room as Sydney Olympic FC returned to the winner’s circle following a 2-0 victory over Manly United in round 7 of the National Premier Leagues Men’s NSW fixture played at Cromer Park on a fresh Friday evening

Michael Vakis opened the scoring in the 16th minute for the visitors before veteran marksman Roy O’Donovan made it 2-0 in the 34th minute in a strong first half.

The hosts match changed when Bilal Belkadi was given his marching orders in the first half as the Northern Beaches outfit failed to settle soon after that with Olympic taking charge securing the three precious points.

Sydney Olympic FC settled almost immediately as Jackson Bandiera found some space and crashed an effort against the crossbar.

The visitors remained on the front foot in the early stages. William Mutch took a touch before he slashed one wide of the mark.

Manly United FC found some rhythm and had an opportunity on the counter soon after that. Connor Rose cut inside his defender and curled it wide.

Sydney Olympic FC found the opener in the 16th minute. O’Donovan had his effort blocked by Manly United FC keeper Levi Kaye with the ball falling into the path of Vakis who made it 1-0.

Labinot Haliti’s troops continued to dominate the first half. This time, Darcy Burgess was free then he slid an effort past the post. The job was made harder for Manly United FC when Belkadi was shown a straight red card for some foul play.

Sydney Olympic FC made quick use of the advantage and soon made it 2-0 following Belkadi’s dismissal. Abraham Major sent into a cross for O’Donovan to nod home in the 34th minute.

The visitors came out with the same intent in the second half. Burgess again lashed at one which flew wide of the mark.

Manly United FC tried to find their way back into the contest quickly. The ball fell to captain Kieren Paull who shot over the ball.

Sydney Olympic FC went close to a third goal on the hour mark. They had multiple chances inside the box from George Antonis which were repelled.

Harry McCarthy had a chance for Manly United FC as they chased the game. He took the ball in stride but it went wide.

The game remained an open contest. Majok headed wide for Sydney Olympic FC then McCarthy rattled the crossbar for the hosts.

Substitute Peter Kekeris had a late chance to get Manly United FC on the board. His strike from distance faded over the bar.

Sydney Olympic FC almost added the icing on the cake through O’Donovan. His first strike was saved then a follow up went over.

Manly United FC coach Patrick Zwaanswijk. Photo: Men’s NPL.

Speaking post match, Manly United FC coach Patrick Zwaanswijk reflected on the loss for the home side.

“The first half we started well then made too many mistakes in midfield which cost us.

“I think we made some individual errors and lacked ideas.

“We had free players but couldn’t find them despite coming out in the second half better,” said Zwaanswijk.

The Blues have found Cromer Park a happy hunting place in the last few seasons and will take this result in their stride as they hope to continue some consistency in getting their 2024 season back on track.

Recent posts