NPL.TV shows off ‘massive appetite’ for football in Australia, says Peter Filopoulos

·

Football Victoria CEO Peter Filopoulos said that the new NPL.TV streaming service proves that Australia has a ‘massive appetite’ for live football, speaking in a live interview with SBS The World Game on Wednesday afternoon.

SBS The World Game journalist Lucy Zelić asked Peter Filopoulos a question raised by Greek Herald writer Peter Oglos, regarding NPL Victoria potentially joining the NPL.TV streaming service.

“We were part of the drive of that strategy initially, that broadcasting strategy because we were keen to elevate the status of the NPL and the NPL clubs, and to attract the eyeballs to our competition,” the Football Victoria CEO says.

“We are committed to the NPL.TV and have decided to let NSW and QLD launch it in the first instance so we can monitor the situation.”

The NPL.TV streaming service was launched in March this year for NPL NSW and NPL QLD, allowing for the free viewing of all NPL Men’s and Women’s competitions.

Filopoulos stressed that the streaming service is “enormous”, believing it to be one day part of a crucial “football fraternity”.

“I think this is where we need to be going, which is creating our own content platforms and distribution model, because there is a massive appetite for football,” Filopoulos says.

Despite recognising its immense potential, Filopoulos confirmed that joining the NPL.TV streaming platform is not in the Victorian Football Federation’s direct line of vision. The Football Victoria CEO added that they will continue to stream through Facebook and Youtube, until “certain questions” regarding the streaming service are addressed.

“We’re not quite ready to transition away from those platforms into this new NPL.TV, and we’ve got some certain questions that we want answered and want to monitor before we also join the NPL.TV platform,” Filopoulos adds.

All NPL and grassroots football competitions were suspended on March 17, almost one week after NPL.TV was announced.

“It is very regrettable that grassroots football will not proceed for the next month, but as a good and responsible citizen, we recognise that our game of approximately 1.96 million participants, has a significant role to play in slowing the spread of the virus,” FFA Chief Executive Officer James Johnson said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

South Melbourne triumphs over Sydney Olympic in thrilling Greek derby at Jubilee Stadium

South Melbourne edged Sydney Olympic 2–1, securing a Quarter-Finals spot and keeping their perfect Championship record intact.

Suspect admits attacking Greek Orthodox priest in Lyon over personal dispute

A suspect has admitted to the shooting of a Greek Orthodox priest in the French city of Lyon last week over a personal dispute, prosecutors have said.

Teen driver Aaron Papazoglu faces new charge over fatal Hornsby crash

Aaron Papazoglu, the teenage driver accused of causing a crash that killed 33-year-old Samanvitha Dhareshwar and her unborn child in Hornsby.